Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making a walking rope

Rea

I'm making a walking rope, I've just bought some webbing from the pound shop but need a simple way to attach handles and ideas on what to use as handles.

I had thought of using curtain rings tied on with ribbon but any ideas will be very welcome because I've just been getting deeper and deeper into the internet as I followed various thoughts. :1b :1b

We made our using webbing to make small loops that the children just hold on to. (we discourage slipping wrists through encase they fall etc)

Long bit was made from a length of fabric - folded a few times, then stitched along, inserting the holding hoops.

We found it better making more 'shorter' ropes than one long one.

You can make them by just tying loops into the rope...but I'm not sure how/what sort of knot you need. You would need the rope to be quite a bit longer than the finished product to take account of the loops.

Dohh!!! I can't believe I never thought of that - it's soooooooooooo obvious!! xD :lol: xD

My brother is a rope/knot nerd..... I'm sure I can 'rope' him into making us a new one!!

Hope yours goes well Rea - ours lasted a good few years. However we could do with a new one, and a knotted rope would save me making it :rolleyes:

xxx

we had one that was just knots in a rope... the children held onto the knots , no chance of looping it over the hand and reduced chances of falling/pulled over... was a thick rope though , think a parent gave it to us.

We have two ropes each with six bangle rings tied at regular intervals along them. About to make up a third for our growing group of toddlers. They love it and are always really well behaved when holding onto their ring. I have used one long rope in the past but they find it much more awkward.

Edited by Phoebe123