Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Little chap is about to become a big brother!

Hi!

Little chap in my Reception class is about to become a big brother. No other siblings. Sooner rather than later as his mum may have to have a c-section next week at 37 weeks.

He is a lovely little chap - rough and tumble type, loves construction and super-hero play, can't sit still for a minute, cheeky sense of humour, very inquisitive and hyper sensitive (always has been) - and has not mentioned the baby once.

I've got some stories. We've ordered a couple of new bathable dolls anyway...

Can anyone suggest how we can support him through this change if we sense he needs it?

Thanks

I'd keep everything as normal as possible in the classroom. Loads will be different at home so he might need some stability. If you need to mention the baby do it in a way that allows him to lead, ask him if he can show you what's in the pram, don't necessarily talk about him being a big boy, he might not want to be one, but you could ask about how the baby has to be cared for.

When my youngest was born, he arrived with Thunderbird 2 and after my eldest had seen what was in the cot, he didn't really bother so we didn't either.

Hopefully his mom and dad will be able to tell you how he's dealing with it and that should help :)

Edited by Rea
  • Like 2

I am reminded of a little boy in my setting........he was told a few weeks ago that he is going to have a sibling later this year and expressed his desire for a baby brother. Mum had her scan a couple of weeks ago and the new baby is to be a girl. When she told her son the news, he shouted 'HOOOOOORAYYY!!! My baby brother is going to be a girl!!!'................it made me chuckle all day x

I agree with all of the above though, 'your' little boy might be fearful that his place in the family is about to be challenged; that he will no longer be wanted. So, keep things normal, chuck in some extra praise, send home some lovely WOW moments to his parents as well.

• Like 3

I am reminded of a little boy in my setting........he was told a few weeks ago that he is going to have a sibling later this year and expressed his desire for a baby brother. Mum had her scan a couple of weeks ago and the new baby is to be a girl. When she told her son the news, he shouted 'HOOOOOORAYYY!!! My baby brother is going to be a girl!!!'................it made me chuckle all day x

Thats lovely Narnia, how funny xD

Guest lillybeth

Pafandral I thought this was such a lovely post, how lucky this little guy is to have such a thoughtful teacher. Sorry if it sounds "cheesy" but it brought a tear to my eye .

I deleted the bit that said 'and he drives me nuts' in order to appear kind and caring. It obviously worked! :D I luv'em allllllllllllll!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)