Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent request change of key person

If a parent requests a change of key person half way through the child's time with you as she doesn't feel the bond is there that should be, would you do this, if so would you record the conversation (it wasn't a complaint, just a request to meet with managment). Member of staff is obviously upset and wants things recorded to protect her, but I am not sure exactly how to record this if that makes sense.

We have changed key person before, but was because parent didn't feel that there was enough going in learning journey (and she was right, it was an ongoing problem with staff member needing lots of support to keep LJ's current) our prospectus says that we allocate key persons before joining but this may change as sometimes children show an attachment to other staff and look to them for support rather than their named key person or a childs or staffs sessions may change. May be looking at the bigger picture would help ie, does the member of staff form good relationships with other children ? Did she feel she had formed a good relationship with this child and their parent ? Might there be other reasons ( more personal) for this parent to ask fo a change, if no prior concerns either to her meeting her role as a key person then she must be quite upset and I would but not changing the child to a different one, I think I would speak to her and record as part of staff supervision.

Hello

We've had this happen before. I did change the key worker and wrote a note for child's personal file just saying key worker changed at parents request and a brief explanation as to what the parent had said.

Hope this helps

Yes- as long as there wasn't a serious underlining problem [having said that we would still change KP as for whatever reason it was not working] and we wouldn't be to concerned. Sometimes we have changed when a member of staff feels that they simply do not 'jell' [sp?] with child, or the child gravitates to a certain staff member.

This is fine as long as there's an even spread of key children!!

Our policy states that key-persons may change. Like mouse they all start with an allocated KP but we often have a change around after the settling etc.

we sometimes have had to change for all the reasons above. I must admit we didn't write a note in the file, but seen as some changes haven't been from parents i.e we have changed if the child's days have changed for whatever reason and that member of staff doesn't work on the new day, I just let the parents know verbally and explain and everything has always been ok.

We've swapped 2 between us this week ( only 2 staff!). We allocated key workers before they started in January as per the EYFS. One little boy 'took' to me rather than the teacher and the other one's parent seemed to want to talk to the teacher about things rather than me as key worker, so a swap made sense. We have so far never had a parent request a change. We do tend to allocate me the ones in nappies as I do all of that so if makes sense!!

We have another intake at Easter and would prefer to allocate key workers at the end of a couple of weeks to save any swapping about!!