Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Favourite fonts

Hello again! I know this has been asked before but please can anyone share their favourite fonts ( pref. free) for children to copy, look at etc. Have a good mixture of printed and hand written but I'm looking at making the setting more 'print rich' so looking to add a variety of new ideas/displays and handmade resources etc. but not happy with comic sans or arial....

I tend to use Century Gothic because that is more like printed writing with letters such as 'a' looking like an 'a' we are asking the children to write, similarly 'g'.

For something fun I like to use Jokerman. If I am doing a business letter I prefer Georgia

At school our default font for a lot of things is sassoon classroom infant as it most closely matches the handwriting style they teach in KS1. I also use Berlin sans as it has the a without the top bit and I find Century Gothic lovely and clear to read.

Mel

x

H, I love your idea of displaying fonts. I never thought of it but will definitely do it,

This might be completely off the topic, but we do a funny font hunt for a letter of the week. The letter is linked to a child/children and the funny font hunt is usually towards the end of the week.

I just print off in colour, variety of fonts, upper and lower case, different sizes and then cut them up and hide them around the centre. We have a large letter stuck on the white board and it gets filled up with all the ones they find. Sometimes they find them weeks afterwards and are really excited.

Ps. child's play, wizardry and vn Disney are really nice.

Kerry

Question for a simpleton here...how do you 'get' new fonts??

I've a new laptop and it doesn't have the same ones as the old one...and I'm sad without them!!

Do you download them from a specific place?

Do a web search and look for free fonts. Loads will come up. Then just save them and I drag them to my fonts folder in control panel. Some of them have to be unlocked by winzip.

Kerry

Do a web search and look for free fonts. Loads will come up. Then just save them and I drag them to my fonts folder in control panel. Some of them have to be unlocked by winzip.

Kerry

Can you get 'sassoon infant' free? I use it in school, but it's not on my personal laptap.

thats interesting about the 'a' as i did name cards and then realised the children had real difficulty reading the a but could easily recognise'a'so may have to change them

As for the number 4 - I have both as there are both ways everywhere and I observed a child who knew all her numbers struggled to recognise this written this way .

I had to buy Sassoon quite a while ago and my husband was able to get it onto his laptop (not supposed to as its licenced for just one apparantly - but he's a whizz with computers!!)

One's that are similar - OK ish are China Cat and Comic Sans MS

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)