Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Volunteer gaining qualification

Hi

I have a Mum beginning training in Early Years about to start soon with us on a voluntary basis. She has helped out quite a lot in the past and is CRB checked. I am now in a bit of a panic as I haven't checked any references for her as I feel she has volunteered quite a lot and she hasn't worked for several years as she has been raising a family, so apart from family and friends I am not sure who she would ask for a reference. We are overdue Ofsted and I know they are red hot on vetting procedures. Any suggestion what I need to have in place please? I will be doing and induction and have downloaded a volunteer contact off here (thank you to the person that kindly shared)!

Many thanks

Would you be happy to provide a reference for her if she was going elsewhere? I think that your opinion of her capabilities and all the other things that go into a reference is a fair summation of your feelings about her competence, reliability etc.

You could schedule a supervision meeting fairly soon, and use it to chat a bit more deeply, slightly more like an interview, so it is all recorded formally.

When i went for a volunteer job after a few years out they took references from friends.. not family.. and were happy with that .. was in a CC and they said that it was often a way they helped people return to the work force as once working with them for a while they would happily give a reference... in reality if she was going elsewhere she would ask you for a reference..

• Like 1

Watching this as we've never had a volunteer before but have recently been approached. Do you need to do anything else, ofsted, insurance wise etc...i have crb, reference, health forms, on my list, induction etc as per new staff (or does it ave to be slightly different) ...but am worried I'm overlooking something!

What is the 'volunteer contact'?

Watching this as we've never had a volunteer before but have recently been approached. Do you need to do anything else, ofsted, insurance wise etc...i have crb, reference, health forms, on my list, induction etc as per new staff (or does it ave to be slightly different) ...but am worried I'm overlooking something!

What is the 'volunteer contact'?

As CC volunteer.. i was asked for references, CRB done, and had an induction.. no health forms ... but did fill in an application form asking about any relevant experience and qualifications.. and why I wanted to volunteer... they also had everyone do Child protection training as it can often be a volunteer that parents or children will tell something they are unwilling to share with staff...so maybe soem in house CP training would be worth considering.. once you know they are staying... was also told that should I prove not suitable then I would be asked to leave/reconsider if it was suitable for me..a get out clause for them if someone was truly bad at it... no volunteer contract... but was made aware that it was expected to be regular basis on booked days.. which would fit in with me as well as them.. and that no pressure or any responsibility would pas my way.. They did ask me to stay for feedback at end of the day , they had one daily for 30 mins..

Thanks Inge...that's really useful info. Like the bit about the reason for volunteering; think that's where I was becoming wary...students are on a course, staff are employed anyone could say they want to volunteer, but ensuring they are genuine for safeguarding purposes was causing me bother! Also like the get out clause!!

Thank you

Still not 100% but it sure would be lovely to have a spare pair of hands!

Edited by gingerbreadman