Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Code of Conduct Policy

MegaMum

Hi everyone

I was at a committee meeting last night and concern was raised over a particular parent who was verbally abusive to another parent outside Pre-school. Pre-school children were not present as it was picking up time, however, some parents were waiting with younger siblings. It was agreed we would have a 'Code of Conduct' policy stating if parents are verbally abusive to staff or parents their child's place will be suspended. I did raise concerns over whether we could exclude (worries of not seeming to be an inclusive practice jumped to mind) but the committee were adamant this could not go on. The parent receiving the abuse has now withdrawn her child from pre-school!

I have been given the task of writing the policy and wondered if anyone else had a policy like this and if so would be willing to share it, or if any of you had some good suggestion what I should include in it?

Thank you.

If this happened outside of pre-school, how far do your policies actually reach? I'm not saying it is right to verbally abuse another parent, but I imagine it could be a very tricky situation to deal with. You'd need to word your policy very carefully, but even so, how do you investigate incidents like these in order to decide what action to take? Would it need to have been witnessed by a member of pre-school staff, or would you have to speak to the parents who witnessed the behaviour? If so, would you need to take account of how strong friendships/alliances between parents might affect the way the incident was perceived?

All of that said, if parents are asked to sign such a policy it would have the effect of reminding them that they're a part of the setting and have a major impact on how the setting is perceived in the community. The last thing you need is your parent who has now withdrawn their child from your setting to share her negative experience with all and sundry. Difficult, but definitely needs to be addressed.

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare to be honest - good luck with sorting it out! :(

Thank you. I compiled a policy yesterday and it is very similar to yours Meridian. I have sent it off to the Committee and now waiting to hear back from them. Hope they appreciate that I did this in half term break!!!!

well...not convinced they do appreciate all we do, as a manager of a committee run setting too!

our half term is next week

• 1 year later...

Slightly old thread but does anyone have a 'code of conduct' for staff they wouldn't mind sharing or can point me in right direction, have done a search and not coming up with anything....or could it just be the information, do's/dont's given at induction meeting with just another name ? Thanks

Edited by Mouseketeer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)