Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratio's- would this be ok?

Hi

I've just had a phonecall from my deputy to say she has to attend a funeral on Tuesday.

We do have another employee but she is only working towards her level 3 and doesn't have level 2. They said because of her age she can go straight to level 3. She is very capable (more so than my deputy in some ways) and she is CRB checked, safeguarding and first aid trained.

That means there will only be myself (EYP) and my member of staff working towards level 3 on Tuesday.

Is this ok in terms of ratio's etc. and would ofsted be ok with it?

yes you'll be covered on those numbers...your 9th 3yr old would join with your 1 two yr old and be on a 1:2 ratio

Might be worth thinking about the activities you'll have on offer, being careful not to have too much out that needs high supervision - leaving scope for the unforseen stuff!

might be worth having an answer machine on standby so you don't feel pressured to get to the phone if it rings

If you went on EYP numbers I think you have to work with a qualified level 3...though I might be wrong on this

could be worth adding your thoughts to form a 'contingency plan' - always good to have for similar future issues andshows Mrs O that all angles have been considered!

Good luck

Edited by gingerbreadman

Does it meet the statutory requirements tho ? I thought the leader had to be at least L3 with 50% of remaining staff to be qualified, if they have no L2 and are only working towards L3 , then they are not qualified. So if there are only 2 of you, I wouldn't of thought it would cover the requirements ?

Hi

Are you just a sessional setting, open just half a day? Otherwise , how will you cope having any kind of break? I agree with fimbo, the requirements say 50% of remaining staff have to have at least level 2, I think you'd come unstuck if Ofsted turned up!

I do think this is one of those unusual situations where a bit of common sense needs to be used .. you have enough staff ratio, the qualified bit is missing, but the experience is there , I would go with the flow.. write a brief action plan explaining how things are covered and the staff experience being taken into account.. and have it to hand should there be an official visit.. In reality this is the main concern..

Parents would often far prefer the staff to be regular and know the children and them than employ a complete stranger for a few hours who has no knowledge of the setting but a piece of paper saying qualified.. most parents will not know anyway.

• Like 2