Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Trip to twinlakes

Hi All,

We have been given some money and have arranged to take our children to Twinlakes for a day trip in 4 weeks time. I have been myself not long ago and have now got to do a risk assessment!

I don't know where to start- there are so many risks. We do have enough adults going to have 1 adult per 2 children and 2 first aiders coming.

Any advice please! :1b

I don't know twin lakes but when I had to do a visit risk assessment I made a simple chart with three columns. In the first I listed everything that might be hazardous. In the second I put why and how dangerous it was/likely to happen, and in the third I wrote how I would minimise the risk. I just walked myself through the whole thing from start to finish. When I then looked back lots of the hazards had common features so could be lumped together. And when you consider how hazardous/likely to happen they were, given the ratios, they were quite low risk. It looked a bit OTT at first but it helped me to explain to my staff each part of the visit too and certainly helped them realise what the visit looked like from a three year old's viewpoint!

Guest sn0wdr0p

I often find that venues I am visiting already have risk assessments done so it may be worth contacting them. (The Deep in Hull is one of them). East Riding of Yorkshire Council has a suite of risk assessments for schools covering many types of activities and it is possible your local authority has similar.

I always visit to do risk assessments before any outing. My own children get plenty of days out before the summer holidays start which is when most outings take place for the OOS club.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)