Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using a school classroom

Hi all,

As you may of seen, we were thinking of purchasing a mobile classrooom to be placed on school grounds for our playgroup. We are currently using a village hall but are having lots of difficulties with this.

I spoke to the school today and they say they could accomodate us within the school, without the need for a mobile. They are just unsure of how the insurance would work- would we be part of there's or get our own?

I also said that I was considering starting an after school club if the move goes ahead, and they were very keen for this and said there would be a lot of uptake.

We may lose a couple of our children if we move but they only do 2 sessions a week.

What other things do we need to consider before we move?

Any advice would be great please!! :1b

Wow that sounds exciting and affordable....if they are charging rent I would think they'd have buildings insurance but if staying independent you'd still need your own contents and liability insurance...maybe worth talking to your current insurers or anyone you know in same situation.

• Like 1

we rent from our local school. as well as paying rent for the classroom and garden area, we have our own insurance and pay a percentage of

utilities bills, we also have to pay business rates for the classroom. some councils will give up to 80% discount.

when lease is due for re-newel we have to pay the costs. our lease is not with the local authority. when we moved into

the school we used a solicitor to help with the lease and legal side of things.

check what you will be liable for, who repairs what etc. will you have to take your rubbish home with you, who will be responsible for cutting the grass

and general gardening.

good luck. it is worth it.

We have spoken to the headteacher of the school again who said exactly what Inge mentioned. They are looking to increase school numbers either next year or the following year so it would mean us moving again! So this doesn't look like an option any longer.

a;so think / ask about what happens if they need the classroom back and cannot acomodate you any longer... they have space now but in 5 years will it be the same??

This happened to a friend of mine last year. About 4 years after being approached by the school to open in the first place. :( :(

Very sad - and they were given very short notice to leave.

I'm not saying don't do it - but be very aware of the pitfalls. Being in a village hall myself- I would LOVE the thought of a classroom, and we were thinking of going down that route, but not so sure now, Especially with the rising birth rates at the moment.

xxx

We have spoken to the headteacher of the school again who said exactly what Inge mentioned. They are looking to increase school numbers either next year or the following year so it would mean us moving again! So this doesn't look like an option any longer.

Ohpps- I see now you've covered this. :mellow:

Maybe best stick with the mobile classroom - at least it's yours.

xx