Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where to go next with 'dog' role-play?

Hi,

I have a group of girls (strongly lead by 1 of them) who repeatedly play at being dogs. This is EVERYDAY, and pretty much the same. They are starting to introduce a storyline and using known stories to influence their play. They asked me to be 'the witch' from 101 Dalmations and used the book to choose which character they wanted to be. However, I'm a bit stuck with how to move this play on. 2 of the girls inparticular are keen mark-makers and I'm trying to encourage them at the moment to attempt writing in different situations (other than writing their names and 'm' for mummy. Any ideas? I'm going to change the other role-play to a pet shop/vets after they have finished with the ice-land but Paul the Polar Bear is still in need of his igloo at the moment!

I want to try to do something using role-play as this seems to be their thing. Any ideas across all areas of learning would be great.

Thanks

Green Hippo x

we have a group of these as well, and a very yappy bunch of dogs they are! I bought some plastic dog beds from a RSPCA shop, some cheap dog toys,food bowls etc from a pound shop and let the play continue. We too had a vet clinic in the role play and also had a visit from a community vet ( i think most vets have a community liaison veterinary nurse) and she came and talked about looking after dogs and pets in general, she bought posters and colouring in pictures. we then had a pet week and got lots of parents to bring in pets (including dogs) to visit and finally my dogs came to stay for the whole day so they got to take them on a walk, give them food and leave them alone when they decided to sleep! Have fun, a great interest

Edited by max321

We have done similar to the above post. We arranged a timetable over several weeks where different pets came in including staff. It was really interesting and we got lots from the children. This then lead onto an interest in food and what different animals creatures eat/need which really captured their imaginations.

Our group of 'dog' children, played this way for a long time and then moved on to being babies! Enjoy!

also any local guide dog training scheme in the area.. check guide dogs for the blind./ dogs for the disabled etc, sometimes they have someone to come in and talk about working dogs and how they help people, we had a local person who was a puppy walker who would come in .

Thanks for your help.

I'm planning on doing a 'pet' theme after half-term - and I expect when we do our mind-map dogs will be on that one! We've had The Dogs Trust in before so will contact them again.

Hopefully the vets/pet shop will inspire some writing! We could also make dog 'tags' or passports!

Green Hippo x

Designing and making dog houses (for themselves or the cuddly dogs) cardboard boxes are great for this as they can be turned inside out and drawn on

Lots of talk around size etc. signs, numbers could be drawn on, drawing pictures to cut and stick on for decoration

They could write letters inviting RSPCA in...or their fantasy dogs..could then try and find some (toy ones) to bring in..or write back and say they are on holiday...and would they like to visit! Draw passport, packing lists etc write thank you cards to anyone who does visit

Design dog outfits

Hairy maclary stories, lots of rhyme, making up rhyming names for themselves

Paul the polar bear sounds great..is he from a story?

Hi Gingerbreadman,

Love your ideas - thank you. I particularly like you dog-bed idea as I could make that open-ended for the non-dog lovers - they can choose what animal and what to make it out of - like you said, lots of size language, writing opportunities, exploring different materials etc.

Paul the polar bear is a small polar teddy - he wrote a letter to us explaining that he had been living in our 'snow-land' at night but was too scared to meet the children (when I read the letter out I accidentently said 'eat the children!' - oops!) so could they write messages to him so he can find out about them. I read out the letter and supplied little A5 note-paper for use during CI time - EVERY child in the class CHOSE to take a piece of paper, wrote a message and stuck it up in the snow-land (I was gobsmacked with how many children chose to take part!). Paul then wrote back a couple of times, thanking them for their messages, that they were making him feel brave and that he was sure he would feel ready to meet them soon. He also needed to know what they had to eat and drink - more writing needed! Then on the following Monday, Paul stayed and met the children! We then built him an ice-cave (which is still being developed) and the children have been looking after him. We had an incident of Paul pushing another teddy, so we had to write a list of the class rules to remind him how to behave!

His friend Pogo arrived on Friday so goodness knows what they will have been up to over the weekend...

Green Hippo x

Hehe, Paul sounds fab!! (and your sessions sound like great fun to be in)...what a fantastic thing to do :-) I can just imagine the excitement and anticipation! (and the children going home saying a polar bear wants to come in and eat them!! Haha!!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)