Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Star Wars activities needed

Have a Star Wars fan at the moment - as the radio programme says "I've never seen Star Wars" no idea about this at all, we have looked at a Star Wars annual together, made a couple of masks and a light sabre but really that's all any ideas anyone, getting desperate. This young man does not particularly enjoy mark making or craft particularly

Building one of the ships? Making a C3PO robot. Doing different voices for the characters? I'm not an expert either - in fact have borrowed star wars DVDs from a friend for the same reason - I have a couple who are interested and I'm clueless!

Thinking about the light sabres - could you do something with glow sticks - leading into a light/dark type activity? What about making a space scene - splatting white paint onto black paper and sprinkling with glitter for stars and adding planets/ships to either make a picture or just laminate cut outs so they can be moved around the background to tell a story?

• Like 1

Helen thank you, I love these ideas - he is very reluctant with this type of activity - however, we would be more than happy to do the majority of it in the hope that he will come along and join in to some degree, or at least play with it afterwards, I think he would enjoy the space landscape and laminated characters.

Been thinking about it more (while I'm trying to come up with some more Australia ideas!) I'm pretty sure one of the planets is very desert like - could you have a shallow tray with some dry sand in and explore pattern making/mark making (maybe using the light sabres!) in the sand?

Will keep pondering - I'm oddly awake for this time on a Saturday! What kind of activities does he usually like doing?

We share him with another setting who do a lot of craft work and it has taken us some while to get his confidence and show him there is more to pre-school than cut and stick.

He likes to use Hot Wheels cars and tracks, he likes to use water and investigate I think he wants to role play with other boys, but the older boys we have at the moment don't do "imaginative play" in the way he would wish, they don't interact that well as a group of 3, they have quite different interests and agendas. I can really see the scene scenario working for him, I have found a star wars site and have been gaily printing off some of the characters to laminate.

Re your Australia ideas, have you thought of doing naive spotty paintings? like the aboriginal ones,ours liked doing that, we have these bingo type paint dabbers these days they can use, but a few years ago when we had a child going to Australia for a holiday, we did it with brushes and pieces of dowel dipped in paint I think, I seem to remember they decorated cardboard boomerangs! Are you allowed to face paint? Aboriginals paint their bodies etc. don't they for the Coroboree. or dreamtime.

Edited to say, just noticed your thread in UW/EAD where this has already been suggested!

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

Panders - thanks, we're going to be doing Aboriginal art spotty paintings next week. We watched a brilliant video from the BBC learning zone clips - just lots of images of different Australian landscapes, music etc. They loved it and were most excited by the Great Barrier Reef things - mostly because they saw a 'Nemo'! Dreamtime stories are a nice idea too - have a few lurking somewhere I think.

Apologies for hijacking your thread slightly.

Making playdough aliens with pipe cleaners and googly eyes? Blow paint a blob and draw on hands, feet and eyes to make a space creature. ...does he like lego or duplo? If so you could make spaceships, should be able to get some cheap star wars lego characters from eBay. Plus there should be some cheap annuals on ebay as well I would of thought. Get some old blankets and create some simple capes for role play. I can just picture him running around the outdoor area in his cape and with his light sabre! Of course you can link marking to any of these activities .

• Like 1

have a look at abcdoes.com blog - there's a big section on jedi wrting ( connected to star wars! ) and encouraging handwriting in a fun way and if he's not att hat stage there's some ideas for some gross motor skills using a light sabre!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)