Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Characteristics of learning in obs

Morning all hope you are all well.

We record observations on software called fingertips. It allows us to take photos video audio and write obs. We then can put them into the correct AOL and it produces an online learning journey. However at the moment there is no way of slotting obs into characteristics of learning. Do I need to be adding them to our obs somehow? I was thinking of having a doc with all characteristics on and writing ch's initials next to it when we see them displaying this characteristic. My concern with this is that they are then not directly linked to ch observations - do they need to be?

Lou x

I think you are worrying unduly. I generally just put a sentence somewhere at the end of the obs if it's appropriate, something like 'Justine really showed engagement with this activity, doing blah de blah'. I think that covers it. It's not intended to be a ticklist, it's not hierarchical, it's more generic than that. A child can also display all three characteristics during the same activity too.

Edited as iPad thought it knew better than me which words I meant!

Edited by Cait
  • Like 2

I am in the same boat I think that I am recording the characteristics of learning when we are writing obs and if they link great but not official record. I wondered if anyone had a format I could see or steal.

Edited by Guest

All you have to be able to do is write a short summary of how children demonstrate the characteristics for parents and year 1 teachers as part of the EYFSP so as long as you can summarise what you know, you will be fine I reckon!!

Why oh why do folk want to make more work for themselves? You all know your children and my understanding is that there is no need to keep copious evidence now of your judgements! Leave the paperwork and play with the children! Play is their learning!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)