Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cups at the snack table

Hello all,

I have a query about snack tables.....we have a open snack table where children can choose when to have their snack over the day. On the table we have jugs of water and milk and then fruit for snack. It seems to work well and the children are really good at pouring their own drinks, clearing up after themselves, washing cups etc. Today our DHT raised concerns about the children washing the cups; she suggested that there was some health and safety procedures/precautions that wouldn't be met. Just wondered if anyone else had children washing own cups? We don't have dishwasher or anything in school but we do wash all cups again at the end of the day. Do most of you sanitize cups everyday in dishwasher...should we be bringing them home to wash each night?

Bit of an odd question but can't find any specific H&S guidance on washing of cups anywhere!! Any comments would be muchly appreciated!

Yes, we're the same - just hot soapy water. The children wash their own cups and bowls, but we then re-wash them before the end of the session - so all cups are as clean as they would be if they had been washed at home (well, my house at any rate as I don't have a dishwasher!).

Thank you, it just got me a bit worried and started to question myself....especially when she said 'well you'll have to be careful when Ofsted come in'.....we are waiting for the phonecall at the moment!!

It could be more to do with the children all 'washing up' in the same bowl of lukewarm water - not very hygenic! This is something which was done previously at my setting, but now the children simply empty leftover fruit into the compost bin and put their plates and cups in a washing up bowl with no water in.

This is ridiculous really isnt it?

Why would they not be able to wash their own cups and plates? Surely its good for the children to learn how to care for themselves and gives them responsibility and builds confidence. As long as they are being washed up in hot water afterwards, where is the problem?

The worlds gone health and safety mad!! I cant ever recall hearing about a child dying from washing pots in the same water as someone else.

Also, most washing up liquids are antibacterial now.

We wash up cups etc after children clear into a bowl and once a week all cups/plates/bowls etc are sterilised with Milton tablets. This has been the procedure fir the last 20+ years. Never been mentioned by Ofsted or any other 'visitors' .

korkycat

Was your DHT aware of the fact that they were washed again by staff at the end of the day? Perhaps they thought that was the only wash they ever got?

Perhaps you need to clarify with them exactly what they think the issue is?

Thank you ever so much to all replies.....I thought it was just me going a bit mad.

I agree that H&S can seem a little crazy at times but just wanted to check that something really important hadn't passed me by!

The children wash own cups after use, they are then stored on the draining rack until end of the day when we wash them again, having read your replies I think we should be alright?!?

Thank you again, I know it is a bit trivial really so appreciate the responses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)