Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Food and fussy eaters

Hi Everyone,

I am a new Childminder and am enjoying it very much, but am not sure what to do about fussy eaters. I have three of them!

One two year old will wolf down a bowl of pasta with pesto and extra cheese one week, and refuse to look at it a few weeks later.

A seven year old will only eat pizza! Another little one will sit in the high chair and refuse to put any food in his mouth until I give him Weetabix!

I know what I would do with my own children, but am at a loss here.

Should I offer three or four meals? Should I insist they eat some?

Where can I find ideas for nutritious and interesting childrens meals?

What kind of meals are others providing?

HI and welcome to the forum :D

I am sure others will be along soon with some suggestions but something that has worked for me was getting the children involved in the making / preparation of the food....they seem more interested to eat things they have cooked and that would be fun to do as an activity.

And here are a couple of other threads where fussy eaters / healthy food have been discussed;

here

here

here

Hope they help a bit

Sue

Thanks Sue,

I enjoyed reading the suggestions at the end of the links you posted.

After I started this topic, I insisted the two year old taste carrot I'd cooked today (roast chicken, roast potato, cauli, carrots, cheese sauce and gravy).

He fussed, but as soon as he opened up and tasted it, his expression changed and he wolfed the rest of the dinner, which suggests he was really hungry, but what I cant figure out, is why he would refuse it in the first place, and, if I were to repeat the dinner in a few weeks, he would refuse it again.

I'm no expert to be sure, but perhaps he just forgets in the meantime! I read once we have to offer a new food at least 15 times before a child accepts it - don't know if there is any truth in that. Maybe ask the parents for a food diary from home so that you know what they have been eating on a regular basis.

The "weetabix kid" made me chuckle, my eldest boy was just the same, as long as he had a weetabix in his hand he would eat pretty much anything I gave him, now my granddaughter is repeating this behaviour.

Hi there

I am also a childminder. Whatever you do dont be making different meals for different children. I agree with letting the chidren help in the preparation of food but i tend to only do this at snack time as its not always practical at lunch time.

This happened to me and I asked the parents for a list of meals they eat at home. I then tried to accomodate childrens favourites into my weekly menu. There were obviously some that wouldnt eat certain meals but as they saw one of the children enjoying it (as it was a meal they would eat) , it encourage the others to try it.

there will be times when they go hungry but you cant be making each child a different meal.

Ive also found that children that are new to the setting dont eat for a while as they are unsure of the food and in a strange environment.

Just do what you would do with your own children - if they dont eat it they go hungry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I can sympathise with you. I have cared for many a fussy eater in my time as a mother, childminder, preschool deputy and nanny. I only cook one meal, I ask children what they would like but you cant please all children all of the time!! I ask children to try it and if they dont like it, they dont have to eat it but that is what is on offer. I always offer fruit for dessert and sometimes a slice of bread and butter helps dinner go down or for those especially hungry growing children.

Sometimes food is the only control that some children feel that they have in their lives. Try not to stress over it as the child picks up on this. Try to stay calm.

And yes I heard that a child has to be offered something up to 12 times before they accept it also.

Food is always a tricky subject! Always try to offer a balanced varied diet. Sometimes you will win sometimes lose!! Good luck.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies and interest. I eventually insisted the two year old try the food that I had made that day. No raised voice, no anxiety or anger - just repeated insistance. He eventually tasted, and it was 100% obvious from the expression on his face that he liked what was in his mouth! Plenty of praise and encouragement followed, and he ate it all up. The battle the following day took a lot less time, and he gradually started tasting and enjoying withouth a standoff. He is now experimenting with food at home too, and you wont believe the difference in the boy! He has lost the dark rings under his eyes, is full of energy, and is much happier too. I am constantly surprised by the things he is willing to taste and experiment with!!

Ive given up with the 7 yr old. She has pizza but at least HAS agreed to my choice of toppings!! :D, and the Weetabix boy has a cooked lunch. If he does not want to eat, I have the afternoon to go before giving him a Weetabix supper, ensuring his tummy is full before he settles in for the night.

Im feeling a bit smug! xx

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)