Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

resources to encourage writing

Hi there

I am keener than ever this year to encourage my year R pupils to write whilst 'on the go'. I have done lots of research and like the idea of providing children with little 'writing bags' to tie round their waists whilst they play outside. Does anyone know where I can quickly and easily get hold of a good variety of pencils and notebooks etc that would appeal to boys as well as girls such as Disney, Ben Ten? Is it best to go on line or to supermarkets. I have also seen giant themed pencils -I thought these were great, but where do they come from?

All suggestions welcome

Thank you

wilkins have some lovely fat pencils.........................pirates, birds etc and have little notepads to go with them...........oh and stickers etc. They often change the range and it's always good ( and cheap!)

Edited by narnia

• 2 weeks later...

hey mack debs

what a fab idea!

what are you using to tie them around the waist?

have you tried the waitress aprons - the short ones? Think somewhere like Makro may do them rather cheaply

they have a pocket at the front, very handy for mud and worms, stones and dough pens and note pads :1b

Edited by gingerbreadman

• 3 weeks later...

TTS do some Literacy Tool belts, or you can use tool belts from B&Q - the boys love filling the pockets with writing equipment. I saw some lovely ideas for an author's toolkit on a Helen Bromley course recently. A gardening bag with little outsdie pockets, with jumbo pencils (Amazon), a variety of different writing equipment, including some varnished wood slices which you can write on with a drywipe pen. She had also included pea sticks which can be used to mark make in mud, foam, cornflour etc.

Hi there

I am keener than ever this year to encourage my year R pupils to write whilst 'on the go'. I have done lots of research and like the idea of providing children with little 'writing bags' to tie round their waists whilst they play outside. Does anyone know where I can quickly and easily get hold of a good variety of pencils and notebooks etc that would appeal to boys as well as girls such as Disney, Ben Ten? Is it best to go on line or to supermarkets. I have also seen giant themed pencils -I thought these were great, but where do they come from?

All suggestions welcome

Thank you

If you really get stuck for this sort of themed item, especially if not cheap enough, you could always use wrapping paper and stick it to note pads to cover them, or wrap the container they are stored in to entice the children, suppose if pencil large enough and print on paper small enough you could glue some wrapping paper to it.

We use wrapping paper for a few things if there is a strong interest going - we stick it to card and make puppets etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)