Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reduce ratios to reduce costs? what do you think?

Hair or Care?

This might not actually be something that can be chosen now - My friend has her hair coloured by a trainee hairdresser - they already must have English and Maths GCSE to get on the Hair NVQ as apparently the Hair sector are tightening up on the quality of their entrants. :mellow:

Hair or Care?

This might not actually be something that can be chosen now - My friend has her hair coloured by a trainee hairdresser - they already must have English and Maths GCSE to get on the Hair NVQ as apparently the Hair sector are tightening up on the quality of their entrants. :mellow:

Goodness me! Now I'm wondering about the standards of GCSE in Maths and English as I cannot possibly, for one second believe that the 'trainee' at my hairdressers could have gained either.......she's a lovely girl........but.........

Although I had mentioned before the importance of GCSE's I do have to add, that the natural flair must also be present. I must agree that there appears to be a distinct difference between the good old NNEB and NVQ's. I, personally completed a BTEC (let's throw another one in the mix!) as, when I discussed with my 'careers advisor' at school (I too was quite academic as a nipper) I was advised against it! and was pushed more towards the 'do a degree and then if you still want to, you could teach instead' - this set me on my path, which meant I needed to do a BTEC national diploma in childhood studies, rather than the NNEB (I'm still not entirely sure why?) I have seen sooooooo many students on the NVQ courses and their assessors quite literally carry them through, they (as previously mentioned) write a script for professional discussions, complete test FOR THE STUDENTS, give them the answers to questions, and basically complete all the work for the students, just to ensure they pass and they get paid!! I think it is disgusting! One of my closest friends had previously worked for me and completed the EYFD and eventually moved on to teach students as she felt so strongly about the downfall of the standards! Some of the stories I hear about other assessors/tutors is absolutley horrendous. I agree, bring in one exceptional qualification course, with rigid entry requirements, and the possibility of 'fail'!!

Here, here!!!