Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff deployment

Hi Hope someone can help me!

I have an unqualified member of staff who I have encouraged to go to college and undertake a level 2 but she is saying that she will go but when is the question? Can I make her go?

Besides that how should she be deployed? Should she be teaching groups of children or even be a Key Worker?

Please help??????

Hi, I can empathise with you! I had a member of staff who had worked at setting for nearly 15 years and only ever been on training three times. I struggled to get her to go on training courses and she would always say she wasnt ready.....How do you deal with staff who refuse to upskill or train bearing in mind the need to keep up to date with early years knowledge ... thanks for posting, i look forward to hearing what others say.

Hi there.

Didn't want to read and run. I'm not quite sure what your concerns are though re. this staff member. It's difficult to comment not knowing the individual and your situation.She/ he may have fantastic skills and knowledge of Eyfs etc and just not have the qualifications ( in which case does this matter?) or may be really struggling to understand what an early years practitioner is ...etc

How long has the staff member been with you? As you worried about their current performance therefore encouraging them to take a qualification?

Perhaps the staff member can't see the point of going to college. Will it make any difference to salary and future with the setting and so on...

I guess it depends what affect it has on your staff:child ratios depending on qualifications of other staff, I could see a problem if in the situation where needing either a level 3 or 2 to be within requirements, but not sure what you can do about, as greenfinch said issue paid same as others or could that be an incentive to train....does her job description state that training will be expected as part of role ?

Agree with the others - it depends on your issue. I have worked with fab unqualified staff and not so great highly qualified. If requirements allowed, in terms of the balance of qualified/unqualified, I would choose to work with the fab unqualified person; no hesitation

Thanks everyone but I need her to be qualified as the cost of cover is expensive and if she had even a level 2 we could have still been in ratio at times and not had to employ cover and thats my main issue. I dont believe that a piece of paper makes you a better practioner but she has done very little training and I beleive her skills need updating.

She is a long serving member of staff who has done very little child development training and sometimes tells other members of staff (including me ) what to do.

I think she and the group would benefit from her being qualified.

i kind of disagree here, depending on the suitability of the training, who delivers it and the setting where they are whilst training.

Training gives meaning to what they experience in the setting and with the children they work with.

No it does not necessarily make you a better practioner but hopefully a good management team can guide them in the right direction.

''Training gives meaning to what they experience in the setting and with the children they work with.'' -this is it Suer, without training and updating ones knowledge you become stagnant and do things as you have always done them without the underpinning evidence behind the practice.

Training gives you the affirmation, the conviction and builds on your existing knowledge. It enables you to take a step back and be critical and reflective about why you do what you do. If a practitioner doesnt see the need to be build on existing knowledge, share practice with others, learn about up to date and current research in order to provide a more enabling environment then maybe they are 'unsuitable'... am i being unreasonable? ...need answers.....

:(

Sorry Wendy123 I have hijacked your thread - need to re-read the 'EYFS forum thread etiquette manual!' hehehe!

:1b

How about asking your member of staff to complete the CWDC Induction standards booklet whilst she decides.....at least you are moving her on in her training and will have the evidence to show Ofsted. You can at least check her understanding of her current role. I use this as an induction document so I know I've got everything covered. It might inspire her to train to level 2........and you will know what she knows and what she needs to learn.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120119192332/cwdcouncil.org.uk/induction-standards

I remember we started a couple of staff off on those standards from CWDC when they too were reluctant to do training. When they came to do their level 3 one of them actually said to me that what she was expected to do on one part of the course wasn't as in depth as the CWDC and she was glad she had started on that as it made her think about the "why" of what she did each day.