Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Hairy Toe!

I am planning to read The Hairy Toe by Daniel Postgate to my nursery children. Has anyone used this book and did it have any adverse :o effect on any of the children?

Your comments would be appreciated! :1b

all but one of our children love it. It is a fabulous book, but one parent came in, asked to borrow it and then said it would give her child nightmares. I asked if her child had been troubled by it and mum said no, but she MIGHT be. Child concerned was one of the biggest gigglers about the story when I read it, but now i don't read it when that child is in the setting. I'd say go for it , but watch for reactions, be ready to explain and maybe don't read it too dramatically! I am an old ham, so i DO read it that way, but what's life without a bit of spooky???

( Interestingly, we had to take in favourite children's stories to Uni one session, I took several others, but not The Hairy Toe. I did, howver tell the tale and everyone just about jumped out of their skins when I got to the end! Brilliant!!)

I LOVE the Hairy Toe! A supply teacher read it to us when I was in infants at school. I must have been 7ish. She was such a good story teller, that I can still hear her read it now, aged 32!

One of my all time favourites! We've just had to wrestle it off a child who was repeatedly borrowing it from the class library since september so others could have a turn. My experience is that parents who borrow it are more worried about it than their child. I have a made a 'hairy toe' out of brown fur that fits on my finger and it wriggles in my other hand :D (I'm cruel like that)

Oh yes it's fantastic!!

Our children have loved this, and in all my time in the profession I only ever encountered one child who had a problem with it.

By the time he went to school, he loved it though!

• Like 1

Well ... ... I read the story 5 times in succession to two boys - but really had to decline when I was asked to 'read it again!' Later, the whole class enjoyed it! :D

ashamed to say it's not one i know but I amlooking forward to finding it, purchasing it or borrowing from the library and reading it - thanks

If you're not familiar with this story look at this - Megan Hanekom: Recitation, The Hairy Toe (You Tube). She's a very clever girl and I have modelled my storytelling on Megan's. As a learning provocative, I am planning to make a 'hairy toe' :ph34r: (I have some dark brown llama fleece that will be just perfect wrapped around mmmm something hard ... perhaps a 5cm plastic tube - not sure about the toe nail yet!) :D

I personally think its a rubbish book BUT................................ our pre school children are obsessed with it!!!!

We even made our own hairy toes haha (cheap socks from Primark and wool and glue). Some parents even ordered it from

Waterstones as christmas presents :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)