Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff observation forms

clairew28

Hello

I am new to the committee role and have been asked to carry out some staff observations to aid appraisals etc. Does anyone have any forms they use etc for this?

I am a reception class teacher and part of the school management team so am used to carrying out observations of teachers etc but obviously the school forms are not applicable!!

Thanks in advance

Claire

x

Cant help with a form, I'm Chair but we've never involved committee members in observations or appraisals (except on the manager and it wasnt a proper one). I know we probably should but most of our committee are and have been parents with no understanding of how we work nor of what would make a good observation so it would be a big thing to ask of them.

I have thought of it in passing now and then, so if someone has a form I might be tempted.

Welcome to the wonderful world of committee's :ph34r::D

Edited to say check the resource area, pretty sure there were some templates for appraisals a while back. :1b

Edited by Rea

It is separate to appraisals. We have got our County Council in and they have stated that we are expected to carry out supervisions and observations due to the new Statutory Guidance.

I agree that many do not have a background and are not comfortable with what they are looking for and this is something that I am going to raise at our next meeting with the CC. I am not in the position to do them as I am a full time teacher and it would mean using my own PPA time to observe at the playgroup which I am not keen to do in that time.

The form looks good and maybe worth an adaption to suit out setting!

Thanks for the advice

C

claire i understand that the new stat guidance includes info on supervisions etc but you cant do obs for supervision if you are not the supervising manager. If you don't work with these people then they may not perform to their normal standards when you are watching them (one way or the other!!) I just think managers are paid to manage. I can't belive the CC would suggest that the committee did them rather than the manager...that seems a bit wierd.. We use the PSLA forms but i do think these would be difficult for you to use if you not in direct contact . surely the point about supervisions is to improve the team?

I accept that you are their employers but surely the Manager is their line Manager and as such should be doing observations and supervisions?

I cant imagine what your CC are thinking of suggesting you go in and do an observation on a staff member and no I most def do not think you shoul dbe giving up any of your time esp when paid by someone else to do this. I'm not quite sure how someone who knows (and I'm not suggesting you dont) who knows nothing about EY's could possibly do an observation and give proper feedback.

yes regular supervisions are now a requirement of the statutory framework but I haven't heard of any other group where the committee are planning to do it.

I suppose it's the same as a parent governor observing and then doing your supervision and/or appraisal- it just wouldn't work.

• 3 months later...

I agree that managers should definately be responsible for supervisions and appraisals.

However I am interested to know what other settings do in terms of peer observations especially as this is something that Ofsted now require during an inspection?

It does seem that peer observations are being introduced in many settings- certainly the ones I visit. I think there are two options here-

1) Your 'equal' peers observe you, look for examples of great practice and offer feedback/suggestions for improvements

2) Your line manager/setting manager observes you, and uses this as part of the appraisal/ supervision process

The joint observation offered to you at inspection is not obligatory- you are able to decline the invitation. The 'Conducting Early Years Inspections' document does say 'The provider is at liberty to choose whether or not to accept such opportunities. The inspector should be mindful of not 'overloading' the provider or senior staff member'. The purpose of the joint observation at inspection is for the inspector to see how effective the setting's CPD is, ie how senior staff monitor staff performance and how they offer support to improve. :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)