Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Should PTA follow school standards?

HoneyPancakes

I'm feeling a bit disgruntled about my school's PTA (of which I'm a committee member). Before I make a complete Mrs Whingiepants of myself could I ask for your esteemed opinions, as parents and people who work with children, please.

Should PTA functions (Fairs, Discos etc) support the school's standards or is the PTA a separate entity apart from the school? Do Healthy Schools standards apply to PTA functions held on school premises? If the church with which the school is affiliated supports FairTrade activities, should PTA functions?

Ready to be sat in my place,

Mrs Rantypants,

When you ask about healthy schools standards do you mean they shouldn't be selling crisps/sweets, etc? If so I think I'd say that as educators the school as a whole has a responsibility to teach children that some foods are available and acceptable as treats occasionally. This is part of learning to make healthy choices and developing healthy attitudes towards food which are probably more important than always eating healthy food because that is all you are ever given.

The Fairtrade thing is a difficult one. How strong is the church's policy? Can the PTA support one aspect of Fairtrade without being bound to ensure that everything they sell must be Fairtrade wherever possible?

• Like 1

Without knowing the specifics it's difficult to say but I'm with Upsy Daisy on the treats issue. At playgroup we had a healthy eating policy but at the Christmas party there would be cakes, biscuits and crisps on offer. Similarly at our leaving party the children would get ice-cream. I know that I would have the occasional treat myself and don't see why children should not also have them on special occasions.

• Like 1

Thanks Upsy and Beau.

I know I'm most antsi about the poor quality of the food on offer rather than them being there at all. It's stuff packed with preservatives that really get my back up - makes me really anxious really. It all puts me in a bit of a difficult position. I'll be there with six children who I'm supposed to be encouraging to make healthy choices - but there aren't any choices to make.

What I'm going to do (and have done in the past) is take sandwiches and drinks and they can choose to eat them and spend their money on the stalls, or buy hotdogs and coke and not play the games. Most of them are between seven and ten years old so there's some learning. The four year olds I think I can mould.

Thanks for talking me down, but it really does bug me that I have to make these decisions, when the signs on the wall as you walk into school tell me I shouldn't have to.

Cheers,

Honey

• Like 1

It sounds like this event will be a challenge for you in terms of educating children about making healthy choices. They can make the choice about how to spend their money and my guess is that those who choose the hotdogs and coke will probably regret it when the others are having fun on the stalls.

I think taking your own healthier alternatives is a great idea but remember that this is a one-off so the rubbish food won't do them any damage and it gives you an opportunity to talk about what that food contains.

You are clearly a very conscientious practitioner.

• Like 2

I must admit I didn't object to the consumption of junk food, sweets and fizz at the usual fetes, Christmas bazaars and discos and so on. I did complain rather loudly though at the Christmas disco when they played the 'Sex on the Beach' song. :o Listening to five year olds singing the chorus all over the place was just dreadful.

I think your plan of action sounds like a good compromise for you - you're standing up for your principles but encouraging the children to make their own decisions. A really clever solution!

• Like 2

Oh I know Maz,. Don't get me started on Ganglam style 'Ohh sexy lady, oo! oo! oo!'. And while I'm at it (having had requisite glass of red) why don't I just have a whinge about parents parking on the chevrons and double yellow lines, and those who bring their dogs to stand outside the gate at home time like a posse, What about PTA dropping the craft stall because it didn't make enough money, but insisted that the only crafts available should be the ones that cost about 75p a go from Baker Ross or Yellow moon? And even though we agreed over the past few years that if would be better not to call the kids' gift stall 'Santa's Secrets' but 'Surprises' might be a better choice - we're back on 'Secrets'. And just to show I'm really on a rant....What ever happened to Father Christmas???!!

Sucking it up Princess.

Honey

What ever happened to Father Christmas???!!

I believe his CRB revealed something untoward...

Oh and am I the only one not to have heard the Gangnam style thing in its entirety? Or watched the video? :ph34r:

• Like 1

I believe his CRB revealed something untoward...

Oh and am I the only one not to have heard the Gangnam style thing in its entirety? Or watched the video? :ph34r:

I have made a point of avoiding seeing it. I thought this was a good thing until I was caught dancing to Absolute 80s in the kitchen the other day by one daughter who called the other one to "Come and see Mum dancing Gangham Style!".

Should I look at the video? Perhaps not!