Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Ofsted Fact Sheet for Committee Members

thumperrabbit

Well, I'm nominated person (Senior Supervisor) and my committee would run for the hills if asked about EYFS. We give them all the information but I don't have time to make sure they have read and understood it. Just grateful that they are in place for this year. They wouldn't be willing to go on trainig - had a struggle to get named officers and we (staff) do most of work any way! I've told them that they have to say(if asked) that they employ me to make sure that all standards are met etc.

korkycat

Well if I was a parent after reading all that there is no way I would become a committee member.

Do they really think that this would really happen and then a year down the line we go through the whole rigmarole again.

My chairperson is fantastic and has been our chair for the last three years. However she is a partner in a law company and is a solicitor, she knows nothing about children, even though she has three, and is the first to admit it. Which is why she 'employs' us.

I know nothing about the law which is why I would employ her for any legal matters I had.

We must be just about the only industry whose employers change every year and know nothing about the line of work they are in but now are expected to know 'enough' to employ a manager.

The last time we had an Ofsted inspection (May 2011) although she spoke to parents she didn't ask to speak to committee at all.

I am the nominated person for us, korkykay as well so do you think now that means we shouldn't be. All that would happen then would be that Ofsted wouldn't speak to me about anything and we would be changing the nominated person probably every year or so.

Edited by lynned55
  • Like 1

Our playleader cant speak to Ofsted, or at least they wont speak to her, only me as Chair. Luckily I have more understanding of the whole thing than many committee's, although with the new EYFS I'm rather rusty on some things. We're lucky that as a group that we all get along really well and know what each are capable of. But, it really is a silly way to be run.

Well if I was a parent after reading all that there is no way I would become a committee member.

Do they really think that this would really happen and then a year down the line we go through the whole rigmarole again.

My chairperson is fantastic and has been our chair for the last three years. However she is a partner in a law company and is a solicitor, she knows nothing about children, even though she has three, and is the first to admit it. Which is why she 'employs' us.

I know nothing about the law which is why I would employ her for any legal matters I had.

We must be just about the only industry whose employers change every year and know nothing about the line of work they are in but now are expected to know 'enough' to employ a manager.

The last time we had an Ofsted inspection (May 2011) although she spoke to parents she didn't ask to speak to committee at all.

I am the nominated person for us, korkykay as well so do you think now that means we shouldn't be. All that would happen then would be that Ofsted wouldn't speak to me about anything and we would be changing the nominated person probably every year or so.

Decided not to tell my committee, think all 3 would resign on the spot :ph34r: !

I'm also the nominated person, just doesn't make sense to me for it to be anyone other than the person responsible for the day to day running of the setting.

I agree, my Fundraiser actually visits the setting twice a week, Secretary not at all and Chair once a week,and that's if she's not working herself!

I'm at the stage where I just want our money to run out :( it's all too much

oh dear thumperrabbit that doesn't sound like a good place to be, hope things pick up for you, so hard when you're not able to make the decisions yourself because actually the committee are in charge yet the committee (through no fault of their own really) don't know enough about everything 'childcare' to make those decisions without you advising (telling them) what the decision should be...so much wasted time. :(

it's a ridiculous way to run, We are extending our hours and need to employ an additional member of staff.

trying to tie a committee officer down to a definite date so we can interview candidates is proving impossible.

I keep saying as our employers and it is their responsibility for one of them to interview with me. it's me that is doing all

the preparation and paperwork for this, it's me that will conduct the interview, set the wages, T&C's etc as you

say they just do what i tell them!! Well ask really.

There is no way any of our committee could act as our nominated person- as good as they are Ofsted would close us down straight away if they went by their knowledge and understanding of EYFS (even combined together) and truly I mean no disrespect to any of them when I say that. I am just grateful that their names are on stuff it needs to be. But I am pretty sure that we will get to the situation one day where we have no names to put forward for committee.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)