Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

when writing obs out

do you write it as they say it? I dont!! but have picked up a few obs on one of my key children from other staff and she has written that he commented 'I putted 11 on' I cant believe never come accross this before but do I change this to put???

She also wrote he said 'I useted to' at first I thought it was her spelling mistake and was surprised but then saw the other 'spelling mistake' and realised what she was doing!! Be really interested in others views please?

• Like 1

yes I totally understand that but for the first time (dont know why!!) it seems as if it is poking fun at him!! I dont know why?? Gawd think ive been doing this too long now! cant rationlise why it seems wrong. I just havent had to mis-spell anything before although I have written things like 'mummy gone' etc

I guess it is because it is the adults spelling of the interpretation of what was said!! Thankyou x

Edited by Andreamay

Well, to be totally honest - I probably wouldn't write anything down! Unless to annotate a photo.

I would just think/record- 'working within... whatever age band'

UNLESS there were language concerns- then I would do a more formal observation and write exactly what I had heard.

Any recorded observation will hopefully include what the child said - see it as language sampling. Especially with EAL learners you get a sense of the language developmental stage a child is at and for use with the ECaT screening tool for example.

some time ago we did a 'suitcase full of stories' project. Part of the project is to write down the 'stories' that the children produce. These must be written the way that the children say them...it was really interesting to see the way that the children actually talk....not the way you think they do. I was really struck by one EAL child who i thought had quite good language skills....it was obvious when i scribed his story that his skills were not at the level i thought. Since then i have always written what the children say in the way that they say it. I also use exact quotes for displays and descriptions of pictures etc. Ofsted will expect to see the childs voice recorded and this includes 'mistakes' too! remembering that most children make errors at this stage because they are testing tenses and structure....when they come though this stage you will have a great record of their language skills.

I would always record as the it is said using 'the child;s voice' agreeing with what others have said this helps you asess language development and i think it adds a personal touch. When parents read it they will understand that is what their child would of said. I always write observations with language, babble, sounds, facial expressions and what the child is doing as this helps plan next steps as the child maybe playing with some hair rollers in the picture but may infact me absorbed with feeding things though it.

actually been thinking on this one all day and then pulled out some obs to see what we do. I realised, looking through, that by writing EXACTLY what the child says, you are keeping samples of some powerful learning. Who taught that child to addd 'ed' to a word....... I runned to........ i gotted the..... etc.............all demonstrate the child's grasp of the conventions of grammar and their knowledge and understanding. They listen, they take in and then repeat....ok, it's not quite correct, but they ARE getting it, and showing that they are!! And, by writing it all down, YOU demonstrate that you value ( not poke fun) the stage of development they have reached today. Tomorrow they might have reached another important milestone. YAY for children's learning .....................and the wonderful, sensitive adults who encourage and develop it!

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)