Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

halloween

Hi everyone

I have never planned for halloween before. I was just woindering if someone could give me some ideas for independent activities children could do related to halloween. I teach in reception. All ideas would be really appreciated as I am stuck for ideas.

Thank you:)

Yes it is always a good idea to check it out as not all parents would want to you do much around Hallowe'en, although they are probably in the minority. Perhaps you could do a story like Room on the Broom and have fun with that, perhaps leaving out some role play items to encourage children to reenact it.

• Like 1

they are fine with it thats why the school mini topic potions and lotions. i am doing things like counting spiders activities. cutting pumpinkins, make fruit punch, making spiders webs etc. just wondering if anyoine any creative lit or numeracy ideas e.g I amn doing coutning spiders on a web.

Guest ChunkyMan

I am currently planning for next week and Halloween too but combine it with Autumn. We are having simple potion recipes to follow outside, painting their names in blood (red paint using their finger), red foamy water with bugs etc, Witches cove role play area, painting white on black paper and black on white paper, making shape witches, cats, spiders etc, Meg and Mog stories, what's in the potion/spell? aswell as the usual, Although I personally find Halloween too commercial the kids love it.

Cx

I am really pleased that we are off for Halloween, last Friday I had some cut out pictures of pumkins and then some pictures of funny eyes, noses, mouths etc. if they wanted to they could paint/colour/stick tissue paper to the pumpkin then decorate with the features. We never do a great deal for Halloween, and only ever do pumpkins and black cats - a few Meg and Mog stories or as suggested above Room on a Broom.

As we were doing light and dark, brought about by their unending interest in our new torches, I have also invested in some really good fluorescent paint and as we are pre-school - I have cut out the initial capital letters from their names painted them and stuck them up all over the room, we then turn off the lights and they have to find their initial letter, we move the letters about each day, they have liked this game.

I also found some plastic stencils in Hobbycraft last week and they were out on the writing table with pens and paper if they wanted to make pictures using them.

and before cutting those pumpkins to explore.. hammers and golf tees..... hammer the golf tees into the pumpkin... lots of fun, lots of learning in many areas, and when you cut the pumpkin count how many golf tees have made their way inside...and of course this would be a great counting activity for how many. add. remove them etc...

seems I forgot to do the reminder for this activity, usually do well before now... we used camping mallets, worked a dream, but ordinary hammers will do... they soon learn to get fingers out of the way...

found the video.. 9 mins in.. The outdoor environment

Edited by Inge

For Mathematics we buried picture cards of different amounts of witches in black shredded paper and numeral cards for counting and number recognition. We also received a letter from a witch with instructions for making a potion - children had to add different amounts of ingredients to the cauldron - counting groups of objects, basic addition and subtraction.

We had witch and monster masks for the children to engage in role play, then added puppets to extend the imaginative play - then through adult directed activities we created names and personalities for the different puppets, wrote them letters in shared writing, thought of alliterative descriptions etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)