Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

characteristics of learning.....again !

Individual-childs-observation-sheet-portrait comic.docI wholeheartedly agree with catma...and am going to poach "If you are trying to write down what you think the actions or commentary from a child "means" at the point of it happening, then really you are writing an assessment, not an observation" for training!

For me, catch me post it's are more factual notes. Written observations need to be thought about, reflected upon. Yes, sometimes your knowledge will allow an immediate and appropriate reaction, more often it will be a thinking process and a dip into the development matters.

My practitioners are at different levels, I need observation sheets which help guide them through the thought processes required to assess the observation

I've attached our current Obs sheet... a tweaked version of the sheets currently being used in Surrey.

• Like 3

Individual-childs-observation-sheet-portrait comic.docI wholeheartedly agree with catma...and am going to poach "If you are trying to write down what you think the actions or commentary from a child "means" at the point of it happening, then really you are writing an assessment, not an observation" for training!

For me, catch me post it's are more factual notes. Written observations need to be thought about, reflected upon. Yes, sometimes your knowledge will allow an immediate and appropriate reaction, more often it will be a thinking process and a dip into the development matters.

My practitioners are at different levels, I need observation sheets which help guide them through the thought processes required to assess the observation

I've attached our current Obs sheet... a tweaked version of the sheets currently being used in Surrey.

Thank you for sharing - that certainly looks like a user friendly doc :1b

Hmmmm - what are your children 'panning' for - gold? :blink: - sorry couldn't resist - very naughty of me - I will slap my own wrist! :rolleyes: xD

• Like 2

I agree that most observations should be factual 'what have you seen happening, what was said' notes. However, in order to respond spontaneously we often do make a judgement immediately don't we? As you said that this is all depending on our experience, how well we know the child and how well we know the developmental stages etc. As we are working with the children should we not be thinking: what does this tell me about what the child knows, understands, their level skill etc? Is there anything I can do right now that can support this and take their learning forward? And then we respond accordingly. Of course, as others have said previously we are likely to have built up a picture about this child from previous observations and reflections of those observations, with a good idea of where this child needs to go next in their learning.

Green Hippo x

I agree that most observations should be factual 'what have you seen happening, what was said' notes. However, in order to respond spontaneously we often do make a judgement immediately don't we? As you said that this is all depending on our experience, how well we know the child and how well we know the developmental stages etc. As we are working with the children should we not be thinking: what does this tell me about what the child knows, understands, their level skill etc? Is there anything I can do right now that can support this and take their learning forward? And then we respond accordingly. Of course, as others have said previously we are likely to have built up a picture about this child from previous observations and reflections of those observations, with a good idea of where this child needs to go next in their learning.

Green Hippo x

Absolutely, but I would be seeing that (as described in Learning,Playing and Interacting) as "the teachable moment". (Always wished I'd thought of that one!!). In that instance it's about doing not writing???

Cx

• Like 1

Absolutely, but I would be seeing that (as described in Learning,Playing and Interacting) as "the teachable moment". (Always wished I'd thought of that one!!). In that instance it's about doing not writing???

Cx

Cx

Here Here!!! (just as long as we remember to write about it after!!!! he! he!)

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

We record them.....

On Learning Stories (long observations), photograph sheets(which is just a sticker...an idea someone shared on here) and a brief overview on Observation Summaries. The practitioners do not judge while observing they observe. They reflect on what they have observed during their planning time and record in the relevant boxes on the sheet which as a rule photograph sheets once a week which are following children's interests, learning stories once a month and ob summaries once every 3 not major paperwork IMO....shoot me now though if you like muhahahaha xD

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)