Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Quiet area ideas

Has anyone any ideas for creating a quiet area in a noisy room?! Usual money constraints of course. We are a packaway setting. It's becoming increasingly noticeable that various children benefit from small group language activities but the room is so noisy most of the time, with wooden floors into the bargain that it's a losing battle, for us and them. One member of staff suggested we keep a group inside whilst the others go out but that almost seems like a punishment!

We've got some screens, plastic ones but we used to have some cardboard ones which lasted surprisingly well.

Carpets, cushions, beanbags, curtains/drapes, all help to deaden the noise. Its difficult isnt it when you're in one big room?

We have little area that evolved out of our cosy book corner.

There is a piece of carpet on the floor in the corner and a little circle of chairs, seats facing inwards,( sometimes we use the big plastic chairs if we are going to sit on the floor, seats facing outwards). I have a hook on the wall and we have a big piece of thin fleece that i have tied to the hook with a bit of purple ribbon ( ok it was all i had to hand in my pocket at the time when i was balancing on a chair trying to fix it). the fleece then hangs over all the chairs with a sort of open drapy bit at one end. If you can imagine it looks like 1/2 a wigwam from outside. If it isnt staying where it should I use a couple of pegs to hold it in place. This seems to work for a small group of children and an adult, the carpet and fleece seem to deaden the sound from outside in the hall.

You may need a bit of imagination to envisage this!

( I've lost the smileys!!!) :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HI, I am also not sure, we have two big curtains the pull around a small area of carpeted floor, on which we put sleeping bags, cushions and some books. Are the books to stimulating for a quiet area? Can I put up some posters in the quiet area? I have heard not, but the bare walls look boring. I am not happy that it is quite bright in there, shouldn't the quiet area have less lighting, for a calming relaxing affect? I would love some ideas. We obviously want to consider the children and ofsted. Books, and pictures yes or no. Bright light yes or no. We do have other reading areas to offer choice, we also have voile screened area for CFS for the children. We do also put some soft toys and puppets within the quiet area. Another problem is that the children drag many items into the quiet area and often use it as a role-play area, even though other areas are provided and simultaneously used within their play. Any advice would be welcome, please.

A pop up tent is quick and easy - we have a small one for the main playroom , and the babies have one as well - and we have a larger on for outside , a few cushions /sleeping bags and a waterproof mat for damp days with some books and quieter toys - the children love them . :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)