Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Puzzled By Puzzles...

Hi again!

I'm becoming quite the regular on here these days!

Latest question, we have lots of children who really enjoy puzzles, and several who have no clue hw to do them, so obviously this is something we include in our continuous provision, however my question is - where does it fit in to the new Development Matters? It must be in there somewhere, but only reference I can find at the moment is in the 16-24mths to do with trying to fit puzzle pieces in...

Where / How would you include puzzles in your planning?

Thanks guys

xx

They are Maths - as you identified with the babies - 22-36 - categorising by shape or size

and at the top end ELG is part of the everyday language to talk about position, recognise & create patterns, and in 40-60+ using familiar objects and common shapes to create and re-create patterns.

Well that's where I would put it anyway :1b

Also, no mention of fesivals and customs............

But in Understanding the World - People & Communities there is mention of identifying similarities and difference, family customs and routines & communities and traditions all of which could incorporate festivals and customs but are not limited specifically to a religious context. I like this change because it means that even children with little or no experience of cultural diversity can begin to access this in child led activities in addition to the planned experiences to introduce them to different cultures and traditions.

Mel

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)