Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playgroup Leader - Duties And Responsibilities

Guest terrydoo73

Guest terrydoo73

I am a Playgroup Leader in NI and we run a small 12 places Playgroup with myself a Deputy and 2 volunteers from the local community for 2 1/2 hours Monday to Friday term time only.

I do have a job description and specification but am revisiting these to meet with Management Committee to possibly define the role a bit more.

I am therefore looking advice on an issue that I plan to talk to the Committee about:

Obviously I am the "face" of the Playgroup and the buck stops with me!

If I want to discuss issues that relate to children when is the most appropriate time to do it - what is your opinion - when the parents arrive with the child pulling them into an office to talk or arrange a suitable time outside of the normal hours without any children present

should it be the child's key worker only that talks to parents - would it be seen as going over the key worker's head to talk to the parent on their own as Playgroup Leader?

Should such discussion be recorded and by what method? I am thinking here in terms of observation records that reflect incidents such as toileting for which parents give their opinion and a resolution to follow similar methods both at home and in the Playgroup are agreed upon or not as the case may be.

I just want to define our roles precisely so that we are clear who does what rather than cutting through one another or duplicating work etc

Also do any of you work with a system where you have like a meeting with a representative of the Committee on a regular basis to discuss not necessarily large issues but petty things such as behavioural difficulties, toileting accidents, child being distressed, acting up, challenging learning etc etc If so when and who with? The reason I am asking this is to resolve problems that perhaps have been discussed by ourselves for which we don't really see a solution but perhaps an outside opinion might help and add a bit of weight particularly if say in my position I am feeling constantly overruled by a Deputy.

Wow! Lots of questions! :1b

I am an owner/manager and I often speak to parents and then tell their key person what I've said........

I make it an absolute rule not to talk about children 'over their heads' - I would consider that completely inappropriate.....

My parents know that I will always talk to them at drop off or collection if they need to to do that - I will then ask a staff member to take over 'meet and greet' or 'goodbye' and the parent and I will go off somewhere quiet.......

I would never, ever embarrass a parent by saying "I need a word" or anything like that in front of other parents.......there is a teacher at our village pimary school who yells across a crowded playground "Mrs XXXXXXX I need to speak to you" - aarrghhh - awful :(

My parents also know that they can ask for an appointment at a mutually convenient time - I might be the one requesting that too.......

My parents also know that they can ring me at home and that they can email me if they prefer........

HTH :1b

• Like 1

As playleader I think it is perfectly acceptable for you to speak with the parents if the matter is more than just daily feedback about the child and then like sunnyday said relay it back to the key worker. Myself and the other play leader will always speak to parets at the start of the session (if ratios allow and all children are settled) Parents also know they can speak to us at collection time or by appointment. With the group that has just gone to school all the parents had my home number but it was getting a bit silly with people ringing me at home all the time so I have not given my number to the new intake!!! Like Sunnyday we try very hard not to speak about the child in front of them and sometimes have to gently remind parents of this.

I would not be happy to bring up the things you mentioned to the committee as I think this would be a breach of confidentiality and I do not think the committee needs to be concerned with such matters.

• Like 1

Guest terrydoo73

This is what I am hinting at Sox - how perceptive of you! Have never had meetings with Committee and whilst others may think this is a breach of confidentiality in fact because of the Standards we need (ie myself and my Management Committee) to know every little detail to ensure we meet them.

We have only as I say 2 members of staff and 2 volunteers but only 1 volunteer actually present each day. I am thinking in terms of practicality - we are leaving ourselves vulnerable to have meetings with parents at the start or close of sessions. We only actually have 1 qualified member of staff plus a volunteer to 11 children if 1 member of staff goes to talk with parents.

Sorry when you say pm'd I am not getting this to my inbox - am I missing some link perhaps?

This is what I am hinting at Sox - how perceptive of you! Have never had meetings with Committee and whilst others may think this is a breach of confidentiality in fact because of the Standards we need (ie myself and my

Management Committee) to know every little detail

Ask registered person to take the lead, they have overall responsibility for

the group, note everything you ask for even if you don't get it! Put the ball

in their court!

Our sw says it is ok to leave the group as long as you are contactable and not to far away which u wouldn't be!!

Oh and I meant personal pm

Edited by Sox

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)