Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Many Focus Groups Do You Do A Week?

Ive returned to work in reception from maternity leave and will be job sharing with another teacher. Previously at the beginning of the year I have planned for the children to do one focus lit/num/topc activity a week. Talking with my colleague today about planning and who does what she wants us to do 2 focus lit/num/topic a week. I would do one meaning i would have to get 2.5 groups done in one session and she would do the same. To me this seems a bit much so early on.

Would appreciate your thoughts and what you do :)

Hello, I do 2 lit, 2 maths, 1 topic a week as adult directed but use the whole afternoon (2 sessions) alternating with LSA so one of us is always supporting child initiated learning. In the mornings we have a phonics and a whizzy maths session. I have 30 children so 5 groups of 6 (not set groups)

Edited by lulubelle

Hi I do 4 lit, 4 num and 2 topic, but of course everything is interlinked and I try to make my adult leds as cross curricular as possible, we did maths, writing, role play and understanding the world in one yesterday, I hope that helps x

Hi I do 4 lit, 4 num and 2 topic, but of course everything is interlinked and I try to make my adult leds as cross curricular as possible, we did maths, writing, role play and understanding the world in one yesterday, I hope that helps x

Do you do 4 lit, 4 num and 2 topic adult led activities with each small group a week?

I do 4 lit and num and 3 topic lessons a week with a whole group input and at the start of the year normally do 1 lit, num and topic Adult led activity a week with each group while the TA play facilitates and observes (and we swap so its not always the TA)

I normally build the amount of adult led activites i do with each group over the year.

Hi, I work on a job-share similar to yourself. Last year we tried to plan activities for beginning of the week and different activity for end of the week - we very rarely got through everything in the beginning so quickly reduced it to one lot of activities to carry on throughout the week. - hope you understand this, not sure I'm very clear!

Would be interested to know how you plan with your jobshare (perhaps you could send me personal message!)

Hi, I work on a job-share similar to yourself. Last year we tried to plan activities for beginning of the week and different activity for end of the week - we very rarely got through everything in the beginning so quickly reduced it to one lot of activities to carry on throughout the week. - hope you understand this, not sure I'm very clear!

Would be interested to know how you plan with your jobshare (perhaps you could send me personal message!)

Hi, yes its clear, I intended doing the same as what you do. We do 4 lit/num sessions and teach 2 each and she wants us to both plan a adult led activity and complete it with 5 groups in 2 days. So i would have to do 2 and a half groups in about 20mins. Ive planned this week and what i wanted to do i dnt feel i will fit it in. I want quality rather than quantity. i just worry we are already like year 1 in that we are doing letters and sounds, lit, num, guided reading, topic and they always seem to be on seats which is very unfair for the children at this stage. it just seems very structured for my liking.

P.S how do you send a personal message? lol. New to the forum

P.S how do you send a personal message? lol. New to the forum

welcome to the forum

to do a personal message hover over the persons name to get a drop down list (sometimes you need to click on name for it to work)

under their picture /avatar you will get a box which says send message

click on that and you will get a pop up box...

to collect messages there is an envelope icon on top blue stripe which gives messenger.. can also send messages using that.

hope that is clear.. (or not)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)