Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help With My Manners Please.

HoneyPancakes

I need to have a bit of a rant about my children's school situation and maybe someone would give me a little help to say something positive.

A private school in our LA announced last week that they would be joining with a LA primary to become an Academy next year. This has resulted in my children's small school losing lots of children - six from my year five boy's class on top of the three who went to another private school at the end of last school year. It has been very unsettling for all concerned, and I am feeling quite resentful toward the parents who are causing all this uproar.

I need to be able to say nice words of farewell at the boys' tea tomorrow and again in the playground. I just can't think of more than, 'have you got your uniforms yet?' Any words of wisdom?

Thanks for reading,

Honey

We have children who leave us to go to a nearby nursery at various points through the year, to take up their free entitlement at the intended school of their choice in the belief that they won't get a place otherwise. We just say goodbye and that we hope they have as much fun at their new school that they did at ours and that they make lots of new friends but remember their old ones too

• Like 1

Yes was going to say my staff say I have a fixed smile while I'm wishing them well. What annoys me the most is that they change to the Maintained School Nursery because they are under the impression it gives them first go at the school entry (which it doesn't) they still have to apply like all the others. BUT also because it is a 10 min walk further to get to us!!!! so because it is closer they just get the children settled with us, we do all the hard work of getting them settled and used to leaving mum, and then they leave!!!!! and this year the Nursery had the cheek to stagger the intake so the children could get used to being in "Nursery". Don't know what we are but most of the children were used to coming full days 9 to 3.30!!!

smile and wave, smile and wave!!!! wave.gif

I totally sympathise with you, do all the hard work and when they are all toilet trained, used to sitting down, talking, taking turns etc etc off they go. At least you can think you gave them a good grounding and support when they needed it. A good start! Be proud of yourself. :D

• Like 1

the Nursery had the cheek to stagger the intake so the children could get used to being in "Nursery". Don't know what we are but most of the children were used to coming full days 9 to 3.30!!!

But they were going into your setting with familiar adults, familiear routines and probably much smaller ratios, but this is into a new setting with unfamiliar adults and routines - it can be very tiring for young children. Think how tired you are when you change job, all that listening and remembering and not knowing...if they were all in full time the (smaller ratio) of adults would possibly be unable to give the children the attention they may need. And then that would be seen as not meeting their needs. Sometimes school based settings just can't win!!

Cx

Sometimes school based settings just can't win!!

Cx

At the moment I wouldn't be a teacher for quids. With children leaving, some parents seem to be going for blood, blaming the teaching and picking at every opportunity. Really dreadful for the children left behind - but left behind from what? We weren't going that way anyway.

Honey

• Like 1