Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Changing From Charity

SazzJ

Hi

Is anyone registered as a Community Interest Group?

Our playgroup is currently a registered charity but once again we are struggling to get parents to join our committee and so this is one of the solutions however not really sure where it would leave us staff standing.

I started to look at CICs last year and then events took over so it was dropped. I think others on here have gone the same route and it certainly looks like the way a lot of settings will have to go with the committee thing barely working.

Any info you can give Lardylady will be gratefully received :D

I got all the forms from CIC regulator web site, they take some reading! I used there own memorandums as they worked for us. The best piece of advice I can give is check with companies house that the name you want to use is not already being used by a charity or other company, a mistake I made which was quick to sort but made the application take longer. Once all the paper work was sorted it took 5 days. What you have to remember is that you become the employer and therefore have to take responsibility for all that that entails, including the tax man! And whoever become the directors really need to share the tasks evenly and also need to have a good working relationship with each other. We have been up and running for 2 weeks so early days but we love it!

would put a big smiley face here but don't know how to!

happy to answer any further questions you may have, if I know the answer!

lardylady

Ladybird as Rea has siad any info will be gratefully received. I would be very interested in knowing what the true difference between a reg charity group run by a committee and a CIC group- run by...... directors I guess. I'm thinking it is a little more complicated then just deciding which of the staff become directors and which are employed :rolleyes:

no we were no a charity so not sure about assets. we took over the previous setting, some staff left and we had to employ the others as we have to follow TUPE rules, but the member of staff this concerned decided not to return from maternity leave so wasn't really necessary. do you have a business support advisor? ours was very helpful.

lardylady

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)