Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baseline Info And Analysis - How Are You Doing It?

Am settling my new class in and getting to know where they are and what they need as I complete baseline information.

Just wondered how others are doing with this and if anyone has any formats to share of how they will present it and in particular analyse it?

I feel like my brain is in danger of overheating with trying to absorb all the curriculum changes and alter all my paperwork!!

Look forward to sharing ideas with others

xx

Hi,

I have been searching the forum to find some information about this too. I understand we don't need to assess the children against the 17 ELGs until the end of the year, but does anyone have any grids etc., for on entry data?

xx

I work in nursery and gave data to the reception children that was on entry and exit from Nursery this time because I wasn't sure when we have Ofsted in how we could show comparable data for on entry to nursery then on entry to reception because of the changes in the framework.

Our reception teacher is getting to know the children and using the judgements we made in nursery about each child to gauge where they might be now.

I am not sure if she has a grid for this though!

We are both using an A4 size sheet with the areas of learning down the left side split into the different strands in each one and then with terms across the top spilt into autumn 1 and autumn 2 spring 1and 2 summer 1 and 2

Across the terms you would fill in 30-50 or 40-60 so you can see if progress is being made at a glance half termly.

We did start these however because an Ofsted is on the cards for us before Christmas and data on progression is deemed to be really important this time round!

Not sure if that was helpful!!

I am on the iPad so can't post the sheet on here now, but I might have had it from here anyway actually!!

I'm fortunate to have some good transition reports from preschools and nurseries. I've put the (old) EYFS aspects down the left and the children's names across the top. Then I've recorded their transition assessments against each aspect (30-50 months, 40-60 etc). I've colour coded them too so those who are working at less than their actual age can be clearly seen and I can make sure to do extra observations and one-to-one work with them on those areas they haven't shown as many skills in yet. Some of the transition reports have shown differences since the children started, but they were very helpful as a baseline for my baseline if that makes sense!

My big headache comes when I have to then try to map the old EYFS to the new for the ongoing tracking - that's a job for the weekend. Also our LA have already sent out a tracking format for (hopefully) leading into the new profile. This assigns points to the development matters age band according to when the assessment was made in terms of the child's real age.

No! that was my initial thought when I saw what they'd done. I'm guessing that the authority want to have some statistical method of assessing my effectiveness :rolleyes:

No! that was my initial thought when I saw what they'd done. I'm guessing that the authority want to have some statistical method of assessing my effectiveness :rolleyes:

yes i'm sure that that fits in with their statistics beautifully!!!! shame children aren't statistics isn't it! :o:(

We're presently using an individual baseline (new EYFS 2 page) assessment booklet. Our assessments from Nursery are different in areas. Also, we've noticed different development matters statements to assess? So taken some information from nursery and carried out or looked for these areas in play. :)

NOW THAT DIDN'T TAKE LONG FOR SOMEONE TO ATTACH A SCORE TO IT DID IT!!!!!!!! <_<

LOL!!!

For goodness sakes - nursery classes etc have been doing it since 2008, why is it so hard to just make a professional judgement in reception???

• Like 3

I am giving myself to half term to arrive at a starting point judgement across dm. I' m afraid I don't trust the transition documents from one of our settings who every year highlight that children are scoring 7,8,9 across the board ( they are not!) at the end of their time with them so i therefore feel i need to start from scratch with not just them but everyone. As well as the prolific sticky noting which is going on with me and my TA, I have made some sheets for us to record info onto. I have planned some open ended activities for each of us to do each day and we record on the sheets which will end up being a starting school booklet. eg today I called over children to the tuff spot filled with coloured buttons and noted any talk on colour, size, shape, if they made patterns etc so I have a focus for each day's assessment and make sure I see all children over the course of the day. I'm probably doing it all wrong but was feeling so overwhelmed By it all. I have a training session next week so hopefully will have a better idea after that.

Deb

I am having lots of different activities out doing lots of listening and lots of observing. Like Deb I also have some open ended activities then I have some slightly less open ended e.g. I hung a load of numbers on our fence, put a box of bean bags at the bottom and we used them for target practice. I just listened to the resulting 'I got an 8!' type conversations. Sometimes I prompted e.g. 'Can you hit a 2?'. I like the buttons idea - might try that one tomorrow.

I get children from a huge range of settings, I've only had transition documents from 3 different ones and 2 of them are using the profile and giving 7,8, 9 points. I don't believe it's accurate in all cases.

In some ways reading threads like this I feel as if I'm either undercomplicating things or completely missing the point. All my LA suggests and all my head asks for is which DM band they are working within (on a best fit basis) so that's what I'm going to do. I have all the DM statements for 30-50 and 40-60 months in all aspects on one sheet (yes it is tiny print but I print it on A4) as the majority of our children will be in one or other of these. I could (but don't) highlight for each child but regularly scan through it to see whether I've provided opportunities to demonstrate some of the things.

I'll look at what percentages of children fall in to which band and that's about it. In the past I also used to do a baseline using the profile grid because once I'd done the baseline I'd then be asked to hand in data which tracked them against the profile but not any more.

Does that make any sense? Am I missing something major or is it that straightforward?

NOW THAT DIDN'T TAKE LONG FOR SOMEONE TO ATTACH A SCORE TO IT DID IT!!!!!!!! <_<

There is a little bit of me that is waiting for the moment when someone decides that the new ELGs don't give a specific enough picture of what a child can or can't do and splits them up again into their separate sentences, assigning each of them a number and therefore creating a score and a document that looks remarkably like the previous EYFSP (only with more ELGs in!). ;)

• Like 1

I still feel totally lost!! Im not sure what im supposed to be doing!! Help!!

Anyone managed to collate any data together into a grid, chart etc that makes sense?

please share xxx

Are you looking for a summary or just something to record your assessments in? If so, I'd just have a simple grid - names down the side, aspects across the top and then for each child/aspect record which DM age band they're working within. Once you have that it should be fairly easy to which aspects need more work for the cohort as a whole. You could always colour code the boxes if it's easier to see things that way (I often find that).

Are you being asked certain questions? Or do something specific in terms of presenting your data? As far as I know all my headteacher wants is percentages of children in each DM band for each aspect. At the end of the year we'll compare this with where they get to and discuss then what kind of progress they've made.

I don't think there is a 'best' or 'simplest' format, it has to be whatever works for you. The key thing is really going to be what you do with the data in terms of helping the children to move on.

Edited by HelenD26

Thanls everyone its good to know Im not alone with my thoughts.

I think my headteacher also wants percentages of children in each DM band for each aspect and I am working towards this - slowly but surely!!

This may be atupid question but - whats happened to the Profile? is there a new one? Im confused!!

xx

Is it just me ...? I am aready feeling overwhelmed and confused and we are only week three in - I personally whole heartedly agree that we shouldnt be using percentages, trying to fit children into boxes etc etc, but as a FS lead i know my head will have someone breathing down her neck to show progress in a percentage type way by the middle of the year , whcih will then filter to me :( - which then means a whole lot of stress for me - perhaps as usual all the "powers that be" should get together and chat about this so they are all singing from the same sheet? Really would it be that hard? All I want to do is help my class to enjoy school adn have fun learning? Is that too much to ask? ... Sorry rant over - as usual Early years/Reception teachers are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hmm (I feel better now!!)

Hi, I have made a grid which is a bit like the 'letters and sounds' class tracker for each area of learning, e.g. moving and handing, understanding language etc.

Down the left hand side I have the development matters info for each age band and across the top I have terms 1-6. then each age band is split into 3 sections an emerging, developing and exeeding.

I enter the names of all of the children in the class into the tracker at the end of each 'little' term, hopefully across the year I should be able to see the childrens names moving across and down the grid towards the elg's. Because my head expects me to set targets for the children i have highlighted where I would expect an 'average' :S child to be at each term, this shown me those working below, at, or above age related expectations

I have sat for hours doing this and I KNOW THIS IS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS!!!! but I have to fill in a form for a pupil progress meeting and I needed a way of somehow working out something that remotely gave me some data!!!!

To me this is just a case of ticking boxes because I know there is nothing on these sheets that I couldn't have gained from chidren's learning journeys and KNOWING EACH CHILD IN MY CLASS and understanding their level of development!!!!!

This was a little bit of a rant, But if any YR teachers would like to see my efforts I will try to upload. :)

that is what we use in warwickshire :) errmm...i am having a blonde moment, how do you attach files on the forum? cannot find any appropriate button :(

Edited by Guest

Hi chaps

To upload a document when you go to make a post click the button in the bottom right hand side corner 'more reply options' and at the bottom of the reply box is the attach files bit.....just browse.....choose your file and insert/open....when the file name/pathway shows in the box next to the browse tab then click 'Attach this file' and hey presto!!!!

Hoep that helps x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)