Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq 4 Counting Towards Fda?

I start the Foundation Degree tonight (eeekk...) and wondered if anyone knows whether any of my NVQ level 4 would count towards any of it at all? I notice on the course details that the foundation degree comprises of level 4 and 5.

It may depend where you are doing your foundation degree. With the OU I know several childminders who already had NVQ 4 and this was counted as prior learning and they were awarded a certain amount of points known as credit transfer. It meant they could miss out a 60 point OU course

As cathym says, it will depend on the institution. Give your chosen university (or partner college if appropriate) a call and ask them. They'll need to look at the course content, method of assessment and so on and see if it is equivalent to that of the Foundation Degree.

You never know unless you ask! Good luck - let us know what they say.

Hi

My level 4 did not count towards any credits of the FdA, however two years down the line i am very glad they didn't! I really don't think i could have got this far in the course without completing the basics of degree study during the first semester and also the support from my fellow students who were as nervous as me when we started!

I did the E123 with OU before starting my Foundation Degree with Edge Hill.....I was able to skip a module on the firt year of the FDA. Two of my colleagues had done an NVQ level 4 before they started and they didn't have to do the professional development portfolio in the first year as it was a level 4 portfolio they just did the portfolio in the second year as this was level 5. Its definitely worth asking. We asked on our induction day. Good Luck :D

Hi

Oh i still had to go in for the module lessons but just didn't submit an assignment so still got all the information and group discussion without the pressure of writing an assignment ;)

Hi, thanks for all your replies. I didn't really get a chance to ask tonight with all the form filling so will email tomorrow. I am, however, absolutely terrified!!!!! I am suffering from a crisis of confidence - can I really do this?!?!

We all have the same crisis, honest!

I was petrified on my first day, in September 2008, after last being in college in 1982!!!!!

I am about to head back to uni having done my foundation degree, 4 BA modules (to get to 300 credits) and my EYPS.

I have loved it all but am anxious as these last modules are in my own time after a long day at work with no familiar faces, because my friends aren't finishing their degree as they have their EYPS and a non honours degree with their 300 credits.

Try to enjoy!

Once you have your first assignment back you'll wonder why you were worried.....you'll be great!!

Scarlet Angel.....i'm doing the same route as you....BA, EYPS.....then back to finish modules for hons.

Good Luck with your last few modules :)

I am suffering from a crisis of confidence - can I really do this?!?!

Of course you can - and you won't be alone in your worries that you can't! Everyone sits there on the first day wondering what on earth they've taken on. But pretty soon things settle down and once you begin to break things down and work out what you need to do, you'll find it is manageable and when you start to get feedback on your work, you'll realise you can do it!

Good luck - we'll all be here rooting for you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)