Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Worker Query

I have just taken up a new job in reception in a new school. I haven't been trained in the new eyfs yet so I need some advice on key workers as the previous reception teacher has put down for me to implement key workers and inform parents of this. However, there is only myself and a TA. In my view as a teacher in reception I should be every child's key worker. Maybe in a setting where there are numerous adults there is room for key workers.

Help?!!!

Guest ShelleyT

I have decided that each child will have both myself (the teacher) and my TA as the key people. I am not a fan of key workers in Reception but I do appreciate that the parents like to know who to talk to about their child. I am on non-contact time for 1 1/2 days a week, so feel that having 2 key people is appropriate.

Thanks. I think I'll have myself as the key worker. It worked well in my last reception as there were 3 adults per class. Parents at the end of the day seem to be comfortable talking to either myself or TA-depends who they see first, but the TA always points them in my direction if it is something she isn't comfortable taking about it.

several of our local schools now use a key worker approach and the new EYFS is strongly biased towards this. If you work with the same TA on a regular basis would it not be possible to use them as a keyworker....you could always try to give them a small group first and see how they cope if you are uncomfortabe giving them half the class

I am a reception teacher and I have a small class with a TA and we have split the children and my TA will do her key chidlrens reading/ playing/ paperwork/obs/ group work/comms books and I will do mine, I will however read with every child once a week including her key children and also oversee everything. This was recommended to me by the early years advisor as its really important for building relationships in the new EYFS.

Hi!

I teach in a small (21) Reception class as part of a 2.5 job-share with one full-time but very young and a bit all over the place TA, one very experienced 0.8 part-time TA and one new 0.2 very part-time TA.

There are a lot of us but we are not all there at the same time!

So we inform the parents that myself and my job-share partner are the key-person for every child, supported by the TA team. The parents like the concept of 'Team' :) Makes them feel secure! We are 'the Reception Team' :)

I am a reception teacher and I have a small class with a TA and we have split the children and my TA will do her key chidlrens reading/ playing/ paperwork/obs/ group work/comms books and I will do mine, I will however read with every child once a week including her key children and also oversee everything. This was recommended to me by the early years advisor as its really important for building relationships in the new EYFS.

If we did this then I feel I wouldn't have a grip on half of the class, especially if my TA was doing half the classes reading and group work-even though I would "oversee" it. I think I will approach the key worker agenda as a day to day general well being and first port of call for children and parents.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)