Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baseline In The Foundation Stage

Calling out to all Foundation teachers, assistants, helpers, those who have gone before us, and those who know what they're talking about :)

This is my first year in foundation stage and i'm 'lucky' enough that my class don't actually start for another week. So i've been told to hold off any short term planning until next week, but you know what it's like. I just cant help myself and want to be prepared.

So here's my problem. When i taught in year 1 and throughout my training we always carried out baseline through 'tests'. I am aware that we don't test year F and am struggling to get my brain thinking in a foundation stage way.

What sort of activities have people got planned? surely it cant all be through observing free choice?

Also, i'm planning on putting out a few 'early morning activities' for when the chn are coming in. hopefully they will put their bags etc away, self register, and get on with the activities i have put out. I'm hoping this will give me a chance to talk to parents, sort out 'coming in things', and get the chn in a school frame of mind. Would this sort of thing be acceptable in the foundation classroom?

I think i'm starting to panic a bit.... where's that wine....

In anticipation :)

surely it cant all be through observing free choice?

Pretty much, yes it is. Rather than baseline it's possibly more helpful to think of it as transitional assessments as the real baseline was the day the EYFS child was born!

Previous records are very helpful and they will tell you where the child's best attainment currently is. If your learning environment is flexible and open ended enough you will soon see what the children are capable of. Parental input is also invaluable.Most schools I work with get the on entry finalised by half term. This gives children a chance to rerally settle and get used to new everything although some will do so quicker than others. You might focus on the Prime areas first and then complete the specific areas towards the end of the first half term?

Also, i'm planning on putting out a few 'early morning activities' for when the chn are coming in. hopefully they will put their bags etc away, self register, and get on with the activities i have put out. I'm hoping this will give me a chance to talk to parents, sort out 'coming in things', and get the chn in a school frame of mind. Would this sort of thing be acceptable in the foundation classroom?

That would be fine, as long as those activities remain for a good period of time, ie all day or even several days, so children can come back to them later if they want to. Focus on the independent use of resources that are always available and that way you don't need to be resourcing and providing every activity - the children can have empty space if the resources are all there e.g. in the creative workshop I would often just put a sign saying "what will you create today", then through sustained shared thinking approaches I would observe their thinking and doing to make assessments on their skills.

cx

Edited by catma

Thank you for your advice :) it's a bit strange coming out of year 1. i thought it would be very similar but it's completely different. im sure i'll get my head around it soon :)

xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)