Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Do I Need To Do To Become Deputy Manager

Hi,

I have recently been promoted to deputy manager at my nursery. I have been asked to fill out a health declaration form and a suitable persons form. IS THIS NECESSARY TO BE A DEUTy??

PLEASE HELP I AM VERY NEW TO ALL THIS???

Have you contacted Ofsted to ask? Ask them to send you whatever they say in writing!

It's possible that you might have to do it. In the long-term absence of the Manager you would be the Manager, so Ofsted would need to know you were able to do it. Things seem to change all the time so I can't give a definite yay or nay I'm afraid.

I'd be interested to know what they say though

When I appointed my Deputy five years ago she had to fill a health declaration form,as in my absence she would be in charge and this was part of the process, but don't recall her doing a suitable persons form - don't know if it's changed since then ? As Cait stated a quick call to Ofsted should clarify things for you.

I was recently promoted to deputy and Ofsted told my manager that they don't need to know about any change in staff other than the manager. I find this rather worrying as like you say, if my manager was off long term, i would have to step up having had no health declaration or suitable person assessment (not that there is anything to worry about on my part ) i just feel it is a bit of a loop hole that potentially gives way to problems ?

Unless there has been a recent major change they have not wanted to know about anyone other than the manager/lead hands on and the owner/committee for ages now.

as registered persons it is their responsibility to do all the checks to make sure you are suitable for the deputy job and able to take over as needed..so not really a loophole just a change in responsibility to the employer to do the checks.. . how they do it is their choice and they have to prove they have done them to a suitable level..

if it was long term for sickness etc we used to let Ofsted know and left it up to them if they wanted more checks... they never did..Ii was off 3 months ill and they did not do any further checks..

I haven't filled a health declaration form, should I have? Also, I thought that OFSTED had scrapped the suitable persons check?

Yes OFSTED have now given this wonderful suitable person's check job to the nursery lead person, so if anything was to go "wrong" it is not on their heads.. basically! SO a suitable persons form MUST be filled in IMO to cover the lead person and put it all on YOUR head! Sounds harsh i know, but if you are a suitable person for this role, then you have nothing to worry about :P