Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chat Walls

Hi

A while ago someone asked me if u knew anything about chat walls where children fill an A3 sheet of photos. Such as their families, toys, favourite activities etc. My understanding is that it supports and recognises attachments and things that are important to the child at that point in their lives. It helps separations and recognises its ok to be upset when saying good bye but the reassurance mummy/ daddy is coming back rather than using distraction.

Can anyone shed any light or point me in the right direction

Thanks

Not heard of those, Skippy. But we have something similar in children's files. Parents send in things like that for us to make the first few pages of a child's file and we use them to chat to the child about things. Also helpful when 'Auntie Susan' comes to collect a child and we can have a quick look to see what she looks like!

Hi Skippy

This sounds like something we introduced at nursery last year on the advice of our EY advisor.

A large display board (at children's level) called "My special things". The children are encouraged to bring in photos, their paintings and pictures etc of things and people which are special to them. Occasionally, if a child is upset it is used as a distraction, but is more an area where the children love to show their friends and visitors their pictures etc. developing their confidence and self-esteem. The children often change or add to their pictures after a birthday or day out.This has proved very popular with the children and their parents and is something we will def keep doing.

Hope this helps

Joanne

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)