Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jack(Jill) Of All Trades Master Of None?

Hi Everyone

I'm doing a research project for my degree and am looking for some willing managers to help me out!

I still haven't quite formulated the title yet, but what I'm interested in is how effective is the typical staffing structure of an early years setting, especially the managers role, could we have a more effective structure? Does any other country do things differently from us?

I feel that as a manager I'm a 'jack of all trades and master of none' and I'm constantly chasing my tail, never quite getting to where I want to be......so, I wanted to find out if am I alone in this or is the way we are structured having an effect?

I have attached an initial questionnaire, hoping to get some ideas on avenues to follow.

If you can help by filling it in, thank you very much, I know how busy you all are!

Please save the attached questionnaire first, then complete it, save your changes and post it back to me.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Hmmm, not sure how to attach a word document so, here is the questionnaire in full...

Some questions are asking for factual information and as such are closed questions, some ask for your point of view and are therefore open ended, your personal opinion is very important!

1. What type of setting do you manage?
  2. How many children is your setting registered for?
  3. How many staff do you manage?
  4. How long have you been in this post?
  5. Are you supernumary?
  6. How many hours are you contracted to work per week?

1. Do you work extra hours either at home or after your paid hours at work? If so, on average how many extra hours per week do you work?

1. Do you have a deputy manager and are they supernumary?

1. Do you have admin support? If so, for how many hours per week?

1. Does your setting employ an EYP?
  2. Does your setting employ a cook or cleaner?
  3. Do you have access to the internet?
  4. Could you list your responsibilities as a manager?

1. Of the list of responsibilities you have, which takes up most of your time?

1. Do you feel you are able to complete all the tasks you have within your contracted hours to your expected standard?

1. Do you feel you neglect any part of your role due to time constraints?

1. Do you ever feel stressed by your manager role? Please describe how you feel.

1. If you had a magic wand, what would make your job easier and more effective?

Edited by Guest

• What type of setting do you manage?

I am deputy manager of a sessional Preschool

• How many children is your setting registered for?

Maximum of 26 per session, we have 60 children in total

• How many staff do you manage?

We have a team of 10, so 8 staff are managed (not inc manager and myself)

• How long have you been in this post?

I have been deputy for 5 years, have worked in the setting for 11 years

• Are you supernumary?

All team members inc manager are counted into ratios

• How many hours are you contracted to work per week?

Minimum 30 hours

• Do you work extra hours either at home or after your paid hours at work? If so, on average how many extra hours per week do you work?

Lol, lots! I do most of the admin work at home, I do get paid a bit extra for working at home each week but it is pennies given that it is probably an extra 3 -5 hours a week

• Do you have a deputy manager and are they supernumary?

Erm that is me! and no all included.

• Do you have admin support? If so, for how many hours per week?

We have an admin lady who does fees, places and funding, would estimate she spends no more than 3 hrs a week

• Does your setting employ an EYP?

No we have two staff with BA hons Early Years and a level 5 but no EYP

• Does your setting employ a cook or cleaner?

We prepare snacks ourselves, we have a caretaker who hoovers, we clean toys, mop floors, clean toilets etc between us

• Do you have access to the internet?

No, well it is there but is not for our use (grrr)

• Could you list your responsibilities as a manager?

Listing as deputy - Oversee staff, Design maintain and ensure planning is current and implemented, oversee Keyworkers and learning journeys, plan activities, assist manager, be manager on days she isn't in, supervise Playroom, support SENCo, ENCo and other job roles, take fees, welcome and support parents, I can go on but will stop here !

• Of the list of responsibilities you have, which takes up most of your time?

probably sorting out staff (group of women can be so niggly and bitchy!!) and planning/keyworker admin

• Do you feel you are able to complete all the tasks you have within your contracted hours to your expected standard?

Yes to a certain degree but often I am catching up in my own time to ensure everything is done to my standard

• Do you feel you neglect any part of your role due to time constraints?

I am part of the ratio of adults to children and sometimes it can be hard to find a balance of ensuring paperwork is up to date/finding time to play with them. It isn't neglect! as there are still another 4 staff to play but personally I would like to find a healthier balance between work/play.

• Do you ever feel stressed by your manager role? Please describe how you feel.

Yes, there is a lot of pressure and expectation on me from above (manager) and below (other staff). Some days I feel under appreciated for all I do and mostly in my own time and part of me would like to stop all the extra bits, but my conscience knows I want a setting to be proud of not a setting that scrapes by. I am in the middle and often feel like the go between with manager and staff which isn't pleasant.

• If you had a magic wand, what would make your job easier and more effective?

Less paperwork (laughs at silly statement!), better admin from the admin lady, to feel what you do is appreciated by staff not just expected, Parents who understand you work hard and don't question every little thing!

Hope that helps! :)

Sessional pre-school.

26 per session 50 on register

• What type of setting do you manage
  • How many children is your setting registered for?
    • How many staff do you manage?
    • How long have you been in this post?
      7 years
    • Are you supernumary?
      Counted in ratio's
    • How many hours are you contracted to work per week?
      35 hours
    • Do you work extra hours either at home or after your paid hours at work? If so, on average how many extra hours per week do you work?
      60 hours plus and work over holidays due to CAF's and TAC's etc
    • Do you have a deputy manager and are they supernumary?
      Yes and they too are counted in ratio
    • Do you have admin support? If so, for how many hours per week?
      Yes they work 12 hours and also do supply cover
    • Does your setting employ an EYP?
      No I have a level 4 but have been mistaken for an EYP a number of times
    • Does your setting employ a cook or cleaner?
      No cleaner I do the cleaning
    • Do you have access to the internet?
      Yes and we have a website
    • Could you list your responsibilities as a manager?
      Too many to list anything that no covered is down to me
    • Of the list of responsibilities you have, which takes up most of your time?
      family support and mulit-agency meetings
    • Do you feel you are able to complete all the tasks you have within your contracted hours to your expected standard?
      Yes but only due to extra hours
    • Do you feel you neglect any part of your role due to time constraints?
      No but struggle with worklife balance
    • Do you ever feel stressed by your manager role? Please describe how you feel.
      sometimes but on the whole you just get use to it. It's part of the role the extra hours.
    • If you had a magic wand, what would make your job easier and more effective?
      Less paperwork and feeling valued for the job not my level (outstanding setting)

Edited by Guest

What type of setting do you manage?

Village pre-school

How many children is your setting registered for?

How many staff do you manage?

How long have you been in this post?

Almost 10 years

Are you supernumary?

Never have been, but from September I am having one morning a week out of ratio (Thank goodness)

How many hours are you contracted to work per week?

From September we are not opening afternoons any more so it will be seventeen and a half.

Do you work extra hours either at home or after your paid hours at work? If so, on average how many extra hours per week do you work?

Goodness anywhere from 2 to 8 hours.

Do you have a deputy manager and are they supernumary?

Have a deputy but they are not supernumary.

Do you have admin support? If so, for how many hours per week?

We have a great admin lady who does funding, fees, accounts and helps with policies.

Does your setting employ an EYP?

No.

Does your setting employ a cook or cleaner?

No we prepare our own snacks and do all our won cleaning, and have even been known to battle the grass cutting when the groundsman did not turn up!!

Do you have access to the internet?

Not at work so have to do that at home.

Could you list your responsibilities as a manager?

Everything and more!!

Of the list of responsibilities you have, which takes up most of your time?

Staying on top of keeping all paperwork, planning, policies etc up to date and current.

Do you feel you are able to complete all the tasks you have within your contracted hours to your expected standard?

No way, hope this may change having a morning out of ratio.

Do you feel you neglect any part of your role due to time constraints?

No try to be as diligent as possible and dont feel anything is neglected, but possibly is not as good as it could be due to time constraints.

Do you ever feel stressed by your manager role? Please describe how you feel.

Sometimes, but would not have it any other way, I love my job.

If you had a magic wand, what would make your job easier and more effective?

In my team I have two members of staff who have been in the setting for many many years, both are not qualified but are great members of the team, but sometimes I wish they were qualified, prepared to train and would take a more pro active role with the curriculum.

Edited by HappyMaz
To tidy up formatting!

• What type of setting do you manage? Private full day care nursery
  • How many children is your setting registered for? 42
  • How many staff do you manage? 15
  • How long have you been in this post? 4 years
  • Are you supernumary? Most of the time unless I am covering sickness/holiday
  • How many hours are you contracted to work per week? 30

• Do you work extra hours either at home or after your paid hours at work? If so, on average how many extra hours per week do you work? Lots of work at home - unpaid....

• Do you have a deputy manager and are they supernumary? 1 deputy and 2 Senior supervisors - not supernumary

• Do you have admin support? If so, for how many hours per week? Director is very hands on - various hours a week

• Does your setting employ an EYP? Yes, newly employed - not yet fully 'practicing'
  • Does your setting employ a cook or cleaner? No we cook and clean ourselves
  • Do you have access to the internet? Yes
  • Could you list your responsibilities as a manager? Hours, wages, children's invoices, organisation, staff deployment, keyworker to 4 children, self-evaluation, risk assessments, planning, the list goes on.....

• Of the list of responsibilities you have, which takes up most of your time? Invoicing and planning

• Do you feel you are able to complete all the tasks you have within your contracted hours to your expected standard?, No, I plan at home in the evenings

• Do you feel you neglect any part of your role due to time constraints? Would like to spend more time with my key children!

• Do you ever feel stressed by your manager role? Please describe how you feel? Yes, I feel I have alot on my plate, not enough time to do it and would like to share some with my deputy but she is unable to cope with any extra workload... Hoping to have the assitance of my EYP in the coming months though

• If you had a magic wand, what would make your job easier and more effective? Sharing the workload

Umm sorry not sure what happened with the above post, My answers are there if you are able to decode them!!!! If not let me know and I will post again. Sorry.

I've edited it for you! I hope I haven't deleted anything I shouldn't have! :1b

This is a great start, I'm getting very similar replies from my uni friends who are all nursery managers in the north west - if any body else cares to contribute I'd be soooo grateful, and if anyone in aware of any similar research, please let me know where I can find it!

Thanks

Sunshine61

• What type of setting do you manage? PVI Day Nursery
  • How many children is your setting registered for? 52
  • How many staff do you manage? 17
  • How long have you been in this post? 8 years
  • Are you supernumary? Yes
  • How many hours are you contracted to work per week? 37

• Do you work extra hours either at home or after your paid hours at work? If so, on average how many extra hours per week do you work? yes - about 2-3 hours a week - usually at weekends

• Do you have a deputy manager and are they supernumary? Yes - and partially - she doesn't have Key Children but spends some time in ratio

• Do you have admin support? If so, for how many hours per week? Yes 20 hours a week

• Does your setting employ an EYP? Yes - Me
  • Does your setting employ a cook or cleaner? One of each
  • Do you have access to the internet? Yes
  • Could you list your responsibilities as a manager? Do you have all day - finance / funding/ liaising with other agencies, meetings, report writing in various formats depending on needs/ business planning/personnel issues/staff training and support/ health and safety/ CPD of all staff and myself/ spending time mentoring and being role model for staff wearing EYP hat / supporting parents ...... and lots more I have probably forgotten.

• Of the list of responsibilities you have, which takes up most of your time? Paperwork stuff as I'm not a natural business manager and tend to be easily distracted by the fun bits like the children !

• Do you feel you are able to complete all the tasks you have within your contracted hours to your expected standard? No - hence why I do stuff at home and regularly work over hours at work

• Do you feel you neglect any part of your role due to time constraints? I try not to - sometimes I feel guilty that my staff don't get as much time as maybe they should

• Do you ever feel stressed by your manager role? Please describe how you feel. - Occasionally , usually when the 'big' stuff happens and I know the buck stops with me and the wrong outcome/decision impacts on so many others. At times like this I do doubt myself as a Manager and wonder if I am going to get 'found out' as a poor manager, ( despite knowing and being told regularly that's not the case) and it is really stressful - but it always seems to sort itself.

• If you had a magic wand, what would make your job easier and more effective? A better understanding and more personal support from the powers that be ( i.e my Boss) just how much I have to fit into each working day - despite the fact he is a headteacher I fear he doesn't actually understand how many balls I have to juggle all the time to keep the place running well and smoothly. And if he goes on about his 'work/life' balance any more I may just poke him in the eye ^_^

Edited by redjayne