Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Website's - Ideas

Now i have my feet firmly under the table here on this wonderful resource of a forum and i have been hanging around with some cool members here recently and hopefully i am not here to promote, advertise or leech, i want to showcase my nursery website which is almost complete...

PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT and see what you think of our website created by me :D

I am going to add lots more content as soon as i get the chance... so what kind of things do you think it needs to have?

Also i am very good with SEO, website creation, graphics and ideas... (little advert for myself) and i just love to help people :P

Bolton, can you tell me if it's possible to update info on a website if it was set up by someone else on their pc, I bought the name and set the password, and know how to change info on 'notice board ' pg but nothing else so I have to keep giving person who made it newsletters etc...

Now i have my feet firmly under the table here on this wonderful resource of a forum and i have been hanging around with some cool members here recently and hopefully i am not here to promote, advertise or leech, i want to showcase my nursery website which is almost complete...

PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT and see what you think of our website created by me :D

I am going to add lots more content as soon as i get the chance... so what kind of things do you think it needs to have?

Also i am very good with SEO, website creation, graphics and ideas... (little

advert for myself) and i just love to help people :P

Brilliant! Does this mean u want to help advertise settings?

Bolton, can you tell me if it's possible to update info on a website if it was set up by someone else on their pc, I bought the name and set the password, and know how to change info on 'notice board ' pg but nothing else so I have to keep giving person who made it newsletters etc...

unfortunately it seems you can't easily edit your website because the person who set it up will have the master files, ftp login details etc.. but im sure you could request these.. but you would also need the program your website was created with, the ftp client isn't a problem as these are freely available...

If you did have the ftp login details, you could edit your website by editing the html or php files on the server, but again some html knowledge would be needed, and adding a newsletter or link to your newletter and positioning it corectly on the correct page would be quite hard!!!

Sorry for the bad news!

Brilliant! Does this mean u want to help advertise settings?

I could certainly help to advertise anybody's setting... depending on how much work time is involved (bearing in mind i havn't had time to finish my website lol)

Website looks really good and so clever to do it yourself. I have made the decision to cough up for someone else to do it hoping that paying up front will save paper and printing costs if I put the setting's info online. Once the site has been designed I will then be able to manage the content to keep the ongoing running costs down and the hosting etc. is not overly expensive. Having hunted around I found a local web builder as some of the ones that do dedicated school and nursery sites are extraordinarily expensive and their on costs for administration and hosting are also somewhat pricey.

Like yours I am having a secure area for parents to log into to access information but have you thought about having a secure page for staff to log into. I am having a password protected page for them on mine as there is a lot of stuff that it would be useful to put on there that they too can access securely e.g., staff handbook, grievance procedure, cpd updates etc. that way I don't have to print off reams of stuff for them and the responsibility for making sure that they keep up to date with what is going on falls to them - that way no one can say they weren't informed

• Like 1

Thanks for these great ideas.. a staff area would be really good, and if staff check their own area daily they will always be kept in the loop.. excellent idea. The only problem i am having is the actual secure area i have is not the best.. it works, but it is hosted externally on a serif server, because this is the part i become stuck, making my own secure area internally!!

The Health Protection Authority - Sounds important yet i have not actually heard of it (is that bad?) Please steer me in the right direction...

Also i think the best thing for people who need to update regular is to make a solid homepage, with a link to your nursery's ever changing Blog page ie Wordpress being very easy to use and install.. and very easy to simply log in and edit content and add new blogs...

Hi Bolton, yours looks great and I love the flying pig!

Could you tell me how I could put a secure area for parents and one for staff into an existing website please. I created my own using schools.ik.org I con't seem to find anything on here about doing this. It cost me £75.00 per year and probably does a lot more than I have got around to doing with it. Thank you

Thanks for all your wonderful replies, and checking out our website :D

great looking website, well done

is it worth considering putting links to EYFS or foundationyears.org?

Yes i could have more specific links straight to the EYFS and Foundationyears.org but the link we have in our links section to the foundationyears.org.uk is a great website and has lots of great information and contains the new EYFS, Dev Matters and a Parent Pack amongst lots of others..

Not sure if you noticed our links section? But thank you for your great advice :D