Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Consultants

I think this would totally depend on the setting itself.

We are a very strong reflective team- so to be honest for us I do not think I would payout.

We have good links with our LA and other settings,so share good practice etc for free!!

xxx

We too have very strong links with our LA and the EYAT that is there (although they are called something else now) We also have a strong PSLA with a DW who visits on a termly basis. I also network on a fairly regularly basis with other settings.

I'm not sure I would pay money to someone to come in and perhaps suggest things that may not work for us or we are unable to do.

On the other hand I have no idea how much this would cost?

Have you heard of Alistair Bryce Clegg? He is a Early Years Consultant . I attended a conference he was a speaker at and he was very good. He has a blog with some really good ideas.

smiles

Edited by Smiles

We hired him for a local conference we put on, he is fantastic to listen too. He spoke about boys, brilliant and so funny.

You must have some money to be able to hire him! But o so worth it i imagine. I would even though we are too reflective he would have some fantastic ideas

Instead of paying for a early years consultant - would it be feasible to forge relationships with other settings (like Lyned55 suggests) that have been graded Outstanding and that have someone with EYPS - I think I'm correct in thinking that some boroughs encouraged certain practitioners, in settings demonstrating particularly good practice, to become Lead Practitioners, with the purpose of sharing best practice. You could then invite them into your setting to suggest areas to improve, or visit their setting to see what they are providing.

Edited by Guest

Hi

I'd say it depends on where you are on your journey.

I am leading foundation stage practitioner for my LA and I support other settings to develop practice. This can include visits to my setting, intensive work alongside setttings to develop a certain area, conferences, workshops - practitioners find it really useful to be able to seek advice from us as we are 'doing the job everyday'. Sharing good practice is invaluable and allows you to evaluaute and refelct on what you do. Whilst I have been an LFSP my biggest learning has come from explaining to others what I do and why, having to justify your practice embed's it fully. So I would ask around in your area and see if your advisers have settings they can recommend you can visit.

But I am also really privilaged to have worked with Alistair (I was part of a project within my LA) and I can honestly say working alongside him as changed my practice and thinking beyond recognition. I was aready an Outstanding setting, but over the last year Alistair has made me reflect and think (really think) about what I do like never before. He has had a considerable impact on me and my setting - as a consultant he brought in a different way of thinking in and would question me harder and deeper .

I know my LA are thrilled with the impact he has made - it worked for me because he's different and will be honest. I needed someone like that to influence me and give me that extra boost - he has a drive and passion for the job and inspired me. I would recommend his blog and conferences to anyone.

(running late for work - must go as I'm about to video my set up. But if you want more details on what Alistair did and how let me know)

It will depend on what you need - good luck

X

Ditto Tess, I to am a early years lead practitioner and share our good practice with other local settings. When i first became manager of my setting i did exactly that go and visit other settings and came back with some great ideas.

I also chair a local forum for PVI's maintained, child minders and recepton tachers and this is another excellent way of networking and gaining ideas and solving problems

We hired him for a local conference we put on, he is fantastic to listen too. He spoke about boys, brilliant and so funny.

You must have some money to be able to hire him! But o so worth it i imagine. I would even though we are too reflective he would have some fantastic ideas

Yes he is fantastic to listen too but expensive but you can get lots of good ideas from his blog and he also has written some books.

Smiles

Edited by Smiles

Thank you all for your comments - I love visiting other settings but unfortunately despite the local authority trying to encourage networking, sharing practice etc it doesnt happen. In our local area there are so many settings in close proximity and the majority seem to have closed doors Ive heard it is because there have been settings trying to poach staff and children- which I do find hard to believe! Its such a shame, I dont even think its the managers its that they have been instructed from above!

So we tend to go it alone! Apart from this lovely forum which I would be lost without!

I dont mind travelling so if there are any offers of us coming to visit that would be fab! :)

or forum got started 3 yrs now i chair it with a reception teacher and it varies to how many people come, some never but to be honest i think they probably would not have much to share and are notso willing to reflect and change anyway.

the smaller the groups the more constructive they are for everyone. We generally dont have an agenda but some one starts a topic and off we go, we have shared best practice, LJ eal children children with autism etc

we use our local childrens centre as a meeting point and they supply tea and coffee

I am in Gravesham, our group consists of some pvi's maintained and reception teachers. the group runs once a term and we hold them from 4 -6 on varying days to accomodate staff meetings.

Lots of people dont want to come to an after school time but i feel if you were really keen you would make the effort. We have looked at running them during the day but that would exclude teachers, and i couldnt afford cover for myself to come out so this time suits most