Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Do You Think?

My cousin has asked for my advice regarding her youngest son.

He is 20 months old and is the youngest of 3 children. He has a sister who is 30 months and a brother who is 5yrs. He just screams and cries for most of the day everyday! He can be playing and he will just start screaming while he is playing. There is nothing anyone can do to console him when he is like it. He also throws himself on the floor and has started banging his head against the floor.

She is also worried that he will not play anywhere near other children, he will stand and watch. When they move away he will then go to play.

She has took him to the doctors countless times and they say he is just a mardy baby! He has been like this since he was born, even at 3 days old he would moan while he was sleeping.

She follows the same routine everyday and the children are in bed at the same time every night (6:30pm) and he wakes about 6am screams all day!

Other relatives refuse to look after him as they say he is hard work. I took him to stay and play at my setting today and he screamed for the whole 2 hours. I had parents asking me if he had special needs as he was just sittin and crying.

I've never come across anything like it before. What do you think?

Is it just 'normal' toddler behaviour?

Thanks

I would always suggest getting things checked out if you are worried. You both have experience of other children and have identified yourselves that this behaviour is different from children around him. Get Mum to speak to her health visitor or ask for a referral to an assessment centre. I wonder from what you say whether it may be a physical problem? does he eat well?

There may be nothing ...it may be a form of attention seeking but i would definitely get it checked out, then you will know how to help him :1b

• Like 1

Hi

I think that the fact you have posted on here suggests that you dont think its normal toddler behavour.

He really does need to be seen by someone and mum should ask for a referral as she is not having any joy with her GP. This obviously cant be any fun for the little boy either. It does need to be sorted as he is being treated differently from his siblings/peers because of this and this could cause problems as he gets older too.

Sorry im not a lot of help but really hope you get some help soon.

can you teach him baby signing so he can communicate his needs? deffo get him checked out. i would refer him to health visator. possible allergy an avanue to explore?

Oh dear! That must be a real challenge and it sounds like mum has little respite. She needs to keep pestering and get help, changing doctors if necessary because this is now having a major impact on family life. From reading what you have written my first thought was whether he is a highly sensitive child who is very affected by sights and sounds and how his clothes feel etc. or whether he is in pain.

Deb

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, just wondered if there was an update on how the child and family are doing? Health visitor and children's centre may both be able to help if no look with dr. May be sensitive to sound/light/food as well as a sign of being frustrated. It's the hard bit of trying to spot a pattern as to what happens before he cries, or if there is a time when he doesn't scream, what makes that part of the day different?

Hope things are improving x

• Like 1

We took him to the doctors but he said that he needs to see a health visitor. We haven't took him yet as he has been in hospital on the high dependency ward with breathing difficulties so has not been well for the last few weeks but as soon as he is back to his usual self we will take him to see what the health visitor says.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)