Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Access To Children's Files

Guest Spiral

Guest Spiral

Hi there,

just wondering whether anyone can help.

We have a child with two folders - one is their development folder and they will get that when they leave.

The other folder is full of comments and concerns and is close to being a safeguarding concern (there isn't enough for it to be taken that far yet).

The parent's live apart and the absent parent would like to see the other folder. This parent is incredibly caring and very worried about the other parent's care of their child.

Am I able to show this to the absent parent or would they need a solicitor's request?

Thankyou,

Spiral :-)

If you can get some advice from Lawcall or Acas. We had a similar case a couple of months ago and in the end it came down to parental responsbility, so get some advice so you are covered!!

Kris

I would totally agree although even if it was a safeguarding issue I think that parents (with parental responsibility) have a right to see any records you keep on children however 'damning' they might be.

• Like 1

I thought that as long as they have parental responsibility, and the information would not put the child at risk of harm, then you may divulge it. But I would also contact your local safeguarding team to clarify.

Has anyone else raised concerns regarding this child , as it seems if both you and the absent parent have concerns...then there may be an issue, again...I would, contact your safeguarding team for help.

• Like 1

Guest Spiral

Thank you everyone,

all sorted.

If the child was biorn after 2003 the law states both parents remail as having parental responsibility so I can divulge - esp as it is in the child's interest.

Legally, I could be sited in a divorce etc, but as I have not had anything to do with either parent on a personal level I can't be seen as acting in anyone's interest other than the child's.

Spiral :-)