Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Tower Of London

Can anyone help. The reception classes have a topic entitled Kings and Queens and must relate to the Tower of London. Where do l start from?

I saw a programme, probably relating to the Jubilee, the Tower of London has a great history, if rather gory! :o Although it used to be a home before it was a prison and then home to the Crown jewels.

The only fact I know for sure is the gate on the back of 1p represents traitors gate that led from the river Thames to the Tower, usually a one way ticket!

The Rooks have their wings clipped so they cant fly away and to be a Beefeater you need 25 years military service behind you.

I tend to ramble, so stop me at any time, my friends do :rolleyes:

Our school does 4weeks skill teaching and two weeks application focus. The school theme is Toweing in time. The other year groups are doing battles, water and trade.

Wow a really fascinating and interesting building. Did you know that there used to be zoo at the Tower. Animal skulls were excavated in the moat surrounding it. Google zoo at the Tower of London, lots of very interesting facts to be found. There are now wire mesh sculptures within the grounds of some of the animals that used to be there. Hope this might help to get you started. :1b

Having visited it over half term I have to say it is fab :D

Here is a quick link to their website for some activities

But off the top of my head......

Junk modelling to make towers and other buildings

Various crown jewels inspired activities

Look at the various kings and queens who have lived there

Here is a list of monarchs associated with the tower so pick out the most interesting ones and do mini projects about them

Guy Fawkes who they will probably of heard of before was imprisoned in the tower so you could talk about being held captive

In 1671 someone tried to steal the crown jewels so you could talk about how precious things need protecting and get the children to design safes and how would they guard something

As previously said there was once a zoo there and currently there are many amazing sculptures of animals housed within the walls

Hope you enjoy the topic and do have a good look round the towers website as there is lots of other stuff on there that might help inspire you.

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)