Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Format For New Eyfs- Help!

Hi,

i have been trying to get my planning format 'right' for years and alwsy seem to end up to KS1 based- (walt's and wilf's, starters, main and plenaries etc) There were some fab ideas on the warwickshrie website but it's now been been archived (as with everything useful!) if anyone has been devising planning formats or has one they use currently that works really well i would be so grateful of any ideas! have attached my current one to give you an idea of what my school devised. I have a new Headteacher who is very open to changes!

new Reception Short Term Planning.docx

I confess to feeling a little confused myself at the moment. I will move from Nursery to Reception in September in a new school. Trying to decide what the planning needs to include for Reception in light of new EYFS.

As these older children should be accessing all the prime and specific areas I am thinking of continuing with my 'Continuous provision' overview grid which lists the provocations we are going to add to the classroom that week, both inside and outside and there is an area at the top of the page to show how this links to children's next steps and what we have observed them doing in the previous week. No learning objectives on it.

On top of that I would like to do a week's literacy plan showing daily adult input and activities

And a numeracy plan.

Also do some 'focused activity' plans which detail the adult led activities that will take place in other areas including objectives etc. Not sure how many of these activities would take place across a week.

Do Reception classes tend to have a focused literacy and numeracy time? Or is that too old school Literacy/numeracy hour (though not of course suggesting i would do it for an hour)

I am imagining this would look like 2 groups working with an adult each and the others accessing the continuous provision, switching each day.

What anyone be willing to share how they 'timetable' out their week, how much planning they write and whether they feel they need to change any of that in light of the new EYFS?

Hi we have been going back and forth with our planning formats for the new EYFS. We have decided to stick to our continuous provision plan for indoors and outdoors. We also do a focussed adult led plan one for a morning and one for an afternoon session. This isnt much different to normal but includes the new areas of learning. The main thing we have adapted is our observation sheets. I plan my adult leds around my next steps, areas I have identified the children need a focussed support session on or an extension/challenge I do however ensure this is balanced across the half term to ensure all areas have an adult led focus at some point. Not sure if it is correct but we are trialling all the documents at the moment and it is working well. I am willing to share if anyone would like to see them. So in theory I do a skeleton medium term which I adapt as children make suggestions throughout topic, I then do 2 focussed plans a day and a continuous provision planner for the week. I also do my daily letters and sounds plan. Emie x

Guest ChunkyMan

Hi Josiemoss

Here are examples of our planning formats...they have been okayed by local consultants etc...Ofsted didn't look at them!

I think that you can write stuff down but it doesn't nessessarily mean you do it and i also think some of the best things/activities/ideas are often (in my case) decided on the hoof (if you get what I mean) I do think you can be too planned.

Big plan 16 Jan 12 Learning environment.doc

Phonics+numbertime plan 19 Mar 12 CB.doc

Phonics plan is for SEN and numbertime is for quite able.

Edited by ChunkyMan

Hi Chunkyman - just interested...F2 is Reception

How many children would you be working with at a time for the activities on your planning? with one adult?

Hi Edlee!

Yes please - can you share your plans. Sound ideal!

Guest ChunkyMan

Hi Pafandral

Yes F2 is reception....

Yes it would be with 1 adult and usually we have around about 5 children but often it will be who wants to do it first then calling the more reluctant ones over as the day goes by.

For my phonics group I have 8 as they are SEN, my numbertime group is 15.

Guest ChunkyMan

I neglected to add that our planning will more than likely stay very much the same with just 7 areas as opposed to 6 and obviously the objectives will alter in their wording but the principles will remain virtually the same. We will also be tweaking our observation proformas.

I am, however going to find recording in Learning Journeys more wordy as before we could write that a piece of evidence showed LSL5, 6, W6+7 etc then next steps could be W8 etc etc but next year we won't have those handy scale points.....

What does everyone else do/going to do?

I am, however going to find recording in Learning Journeys more wordy as before we could write that a piece of evidence showed LSL5, 6, W6+7 etc then next steps could be W8 etc etc but next year we won't have those handy scale points.....

What does everyone else do/going to do?

I'd been thinking this but hadn't reached any particular conclusions yet! Maybe just referencing evidence to an area rather than a specific point?

We have split each learnig goal in to 3 'scale points' and labeled as CL 1/2/3 and will reference on obs that way for FS2 and for nrusery we use Dev Matters and we have numbered those and reference using those. Hope that is useful Emie

We have split each learnig goal in to 3 'scale points' and labeled as CL 1/2/3 and will reference on obs that way for FS2

Can you explain that in a bit more detail for us non-reception bods please Emie?

We have split each learnig goal in to 3 'scale points' and labeled as CL 1/2/3 and will reference on obs that way for FS2 and for nrusery we use Dev Matters and we have numbered those and reference using those. Hope that is useful Emie

But the ELGs are the assessment decsriptor, not a learning intention so I'm not clear why you would be splitting and labelling them differently to how they are presented in the framework?

Cx

We are not using them as a learning intention for planning, we are using them for assessment - so have split them in to 3 (as, if you read them they are basically 3 of the old scale points bunched in to one) to help record are assessments so we can ensure we have in depth evidence for each ELG at the end of year to make a judgement of emerging, expecting or exceeding. So on our obs we will put which part of the ELG it links to. We plan from Development Matters.

Our thoughts are that we can show progress within the ELG as otherwise it is going to look like children are not making any progress all year isnt it? And we need to be showing continual progress, the ELG's are huge and it will take all year to achieve them for some children but they may achieve parts which is why we thought it logical to break them down, obviously they will be assessed as a whole ELG at the end of the year. I hope that makes sense ; it does to us and our head!! Emie x

I went and did some training with Early Education earlier in the month, and they said quite strongly that the ELGs are not designed to be split into their component parts because practitioners are required to make a 'best fit' judgement in terms of whether the child is emerging, expected or exceeding that ELG as a whole.

Are you required to show progress within each ELG? When you split the ELG into three can you show a clear progression from points 1 to 3? How will your the assessments you make against the three parts of an ELG translate into an 'emerging, expected, exceeding' judgement?

I'm interested because we have these sorts of discussions all the time with our learners and I'm always keen to know how assessment works in a variety of settings.

Maz, I understand what you are saying but I think Emie is also correct as she will be expected to show progress over the year and probably to track attainment even though an end judgement is required. She will then need to decide the best fit descriptor at the end of the year from this.

I went and did some training with Early Education earlier in the month, and they said quite strongly that the ELGs are not designed to be split into their component parts because practitioners are required to make a 'best fit' judgement in terms of whether the child is emerging, expected or exceeding that ELG as a whole

The draft EYFSP materials I was part of the STA working group for and feedback from the Dfe recently is currently making it clear to me that the ELGs are not to be split into parts but looked at holistically. For progress there is the devmatters, again clarified by a DfE EYFS lead recently at a meeting. You can state if a child is emerging, developing or securing within 40 - 60+ just as you can for a nursery child in earlier stages. The EYFSP is not about progress but attainment more than it ever was before. You will need to be using the whole ELG and exemplification (not yet available) which will demonstrate the whole of the ELG not parts of it and match it to your knowledge of the child to get a best fit or not to say if they are at expected.

It really hasn't been written to be split into parts!

• Like 1

Guest LornaW

The draft EYFSP materials I was part of the STA working group for and feedback from the Dfe recently is currently making it clear to me that the ELGs are not to be split into parts but looked at holistically. For progress there is the devmatters, again clarified by a DfE EYFS lead recently at a meeting. You can state if a child is emerging, developing or securing within 40 - 60+ just as you can for a nursery child in earlier stages. The EYFSP is not about progress but attainment more than it ever was before. You will need to be using the whole ELG and exemplification (not yet available) which will demonstrate the whole of the ELG not parts of it and match it to your knowledge of the child to get a best fit or not to say if they are at expected.

It really hasn't been written to be split into parts!

Thank you Catma very clear as usual!

I agree with Susan and I think there will need to be a lot of training on this. I personally prefer this and love the idea that Development Matters will feature more highly in the progress of children.

As we all know many HT are not EY trained (and indeed not very interested sometimes!) and are all Ofsted driven so Catma will there be training for Ofsted and what is the info they are being given on this for September?

I am off to an Early Excellence conference on Tues but I see from the agenda there is no mention of EYFSP in the day - I am assuming that is because there is no hard info at present so your advice is very welcome!

Lorna

I have to say that until the trials of EYFSP are finalised and the guidance is published (Promsed early Autumn - I'd bet by Christmas) then the finer details of guidance are unknown (apart from where they have shared the draft, but we are really not permitted to share so I can only talk from actual experience or from what is already published in the statutory framework).

This is what we are currently advising:

• Forget working with the idea of "Profile points" as they will not exist as from 1/9/12.
  • Track progress using the Dev matters across the key stage. Reception is NO different in this matter than nursery. If we and senior leaders have been quite happy to show progress in F1 for the past 4 years using dev matters, we can do so for the last group in the key stage. In fact this will make progress easier to demonstrate because you can match children to age related expectations at all stages of the EYFS and from different starting points, e.g. from entry in F1 to F2 or from entry in F1 to present point in F2 etc during the year. progress is not just defined by numbers changing on a spread sheet - there needs to be porfessional discussion to. The numbers (summative judgement) may not change but practitiners should be able to demonstrate how a child has moved towards it. That is also progress data.
  • There are 2 national statutory assessment points at age 2 and at the end of the key stage. At age 2 children are assessed against age related expectations through the dev matters. At the end of the key stage children are assessed against the ELGs which demonstrate the expected level of attainment. (NOT progress!)
  • Assessment at this point hinges around the ELGs as a descriptor of each aspect of the curriculum - children's outcomes over time should be matched against the ELG in it's entirety and the exemplification to ascertain if they best fit the expectations of this level.
  • Children may achieve the ELG at earlier stages but at all times that you want to judge a child as expected level then you would have to look at the whole goal. Otherwise they are technically still "emerging" in summative EYFSP speak, defined by their position in dev matters i.e. Probably securing 40 - 60+

It is a new way of looking at assessment and if we try to cling on to the old we are going to create all sorts of pedagogical problems for ourselves, and invent over complicated "systems" which aren't necessary!! You have to separate out ongoing summative assessment and tracking from statutory summative assessment at set points.

I am advising transferring transitional data from F1 into on entry data set for f2 using dev matters, identifying where children are and how far they are from the ELGs and then planning from this. Carry on gathering observations as always not fretting until we get the final guidance from STA!

LornaW, Re Ofsted, I haven't had any specific information, but they look at children at age related expectations so children in F2 are no different I would guess!

We seem to have gone way of the original post's request for planning! But I guess this is linked.

Cx

Edited by catma

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)