Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Question Help!

I have an interview next week and I have been asked to prepare a 10 minute presenatation on the following question.

The question is :

How will you ensure that the Foundation Stage is judged as outstanding by September 2014

A flip chart will be available for me if I require this for my presentation. I am allowed to prepare the flip chart prior to my interview. No IT is available

Can anyone help please???

thanks

Luna

if you go to the ofsted framework for early years and the EYFS document and look at what is judged outstanding then work back that should help. You need to not only look at the provision and the teaching as being outstanding but also the leadership. I recently went on a course entitled 'outstanding leadership of foundation stage' and that went on about having a constant vision for improvement and working with all parties to faciliate change (staff, children, parents, local community etc) I think what they would be expecting would be a plan of action for the next 2 years. I would start by doing an overview to show you know what outstanding is in foundation stage then I would break down what you would do over the next 2 years to bring it about. Begin with an audit of where the foundation stage is at present aginst ofsted criteria and identify areas to develop. If you don't know the school you will need to refer to their most recent ofsted and work from that. Then try to breakdown areas of improvement into priorities and suggest ways that you would go about doing this and when you would do it Autumn term, spring term etc Thats off the top of my head am sure there are many other things to consider which if you read through the ofsted guidance will become more apparent.

not a nice thing to have to do! I don't envy you

good luck

Debx

Guest LornaW

Always having another veiwpoint I wouldn't worry too much about Ofsted as their expertise varies so much.

What you do know is what is good practice in the EYFS and with the recent publication of the revised EYFS I would concentrate on the 4 areas and what you would do in these areas to ensure outstanding practice, relationships, environment and how this will lead to outstanding learning. And keep the child at the centre of it all. You only have 10 minutes. Give them the bare bones and keep them wanting more and you can expand during the interview proper.

Some years ago I had to give a presentation for a job on developing effective pedagogy and after talking with a friend I only had pictures of children in my presentation - I did get the job thank goodness but my point is we sometimes try to put too much into a short space of time so as you have only 10 minutes make them really stick!

Good luck!

Lorna

Guest Spiral

Just wanted to say a huge 'good luck Luna'.

Also to just suggest you read it all out loud to a friend or the cat/dog, whatever wants to listen and ensure the time is correct - 10 mins may whizz by or could seem very long, depending on your nerves.

Best of luck, Spiral :-)

Some great advice already :1b

I would advise that you look at the early years evaluation schedule, the document that inspectors use to match up their evidence and make their judgements. This is of course changing from September, but you'll see that there are 4 key judgements, and 13 supplementary ones. You could outline what they are, so you show that you are aware of what inspectors are looking for.

stand there and draw a big circle and write the word children.......I will ensure that the Foundation Stage is judged as outstanding by September 2013 by putting children first in everything ....their interests, their development, their learning. I will achieve this by understanding the new EYFS guidance, working in full partnership with parents and ensuring that my excitement for the foundation stage is contagious to all the children in my care and the professionals, volunteers and parents that I work with.

sit back down!

• Like 3

Wow thank you so much. I am still an NQT, who has only had a 0.4 year 1 class, so you can imagine how I felt when I got asked to present this question as I am still learning an have not been in the EYFS setting, so yes no pressure really!!

A big thank you to everyone for the great responses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)