Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Employing Someone With Criminal Record

Just wondered if anybody has any thoughts on employing a person with a criminal record that was issued some years ago. They state the crime was for shop lifting after getting mixed up with the wrong crowd. I am nervous on employing a person with this history but also want to be fair. Has anybody got an opinion on this as would love to hear it.

I think the first thing is that you would need to get confirmation of the nature of the crime - what they state is obviously not enough. I'll leave the opinions to people who might have more experience! :1b

• Like 1

I think the first thing is that you would need to get confirmation of the nature of the crime - what they state is obviously not enough. I'll leave the opinions to people who might have more experience! :1b

That was my first thought too..........wonder how you would go about that.........in the good old days when we had 'Police checks' as opposed to CRB it would have been highlighted.........maybe it would be on a CRB check?

Will follow this with interest.

I have had this twice now, when you apply for the crb they will let you know that the person has committed an offence and they give you a rough description, once i had a phone call and the second time a letter with the crb. at the bottom of the crb it lists the offence.

I then asked the person to come in and discussed the offence in detail, when it took place, the outcome etc, then i made a decision after hearing all the facts. sometimes its just a mistake they made when they were a teenager......... good luck!

I have had this twice now, when you apply for the crb they will let you know that the person has committed an offence and they give you a rough description, once i had a phone call and the second time a letter with the crb. at the bottom of the crb it lists the offence.

I then asked the person to come in and discussed the offence in detail, when it took place, the outcome etc, then i made a decision after hearing all the facts. sometimes its just a mistake they made when they were a teenager......... good luck!

Ah........that's good then!

We also had the same as simcity although with a volunteer. This person had told us upfront the CRB would come back with something on it and what had happened. When the CRB was returned by our umbrella body they sent a letter asking us to call and because we were slow doing so they called us. They just wanted to check we understood the disclosure and to know if we wanted any advice re making a decision. I explained the volunteer had been up front about it, checked I'd understood the disclosure and told them we were happy to allow the person to volunteer as the incident did not have a bearing on the role. They were fine with that and it was done with.

Thanks to all that responded to my question earlier about employing someone with a criminal record. It was interesting to hear what other peoples experiences. It may have made me think that I should give them a chance as this may have been some time ago.

I employed ( and still have) a staff member with a record for a similar offence as above - she told me at interview and again when she filled out her CRB, but explained it was years before when she had got in with a bad crowd. She had been working at other nurseries before mine and had good references, so I gave her a chance. I have never regreted it, she is one of my best team members and I have never had a reason to doubt her in any way.

It can be incredibly difficult for people with an offence that, if they were in any other line of work, would be considered 'spent' and would ultimately remain a private matter just for themselves. However because of the nature of the CRB these offences follow practitioners around forever and they find themselves having to relive the embarrassment of what they did all over again with a stranger.

You have to make a judgement call about the qualities of the applicant, the quality of their references, and the nature of the offence. I think you'd have to show that you followed up each reference very carefuly, accounted for any gaps in employment etc, but really that's just all part of safer recruitment practices these days.

• Like 1

I had an extremely heated discussion with another trustee a few weeks ago about this. She says we shouldnt employ anyone with a crim record. I pointed out about teenage shoplifting etc but she refused to budge an inch - mind you she also say says we should sack anyone who smokes, make anyone with tattoos have them lasered off and no make up or any jewelery to be allowed!!!!

I had an extremely heated discussion with another trustee a few weeks ago about this. She says we shouldnt employ anyone with a crim record. I pointed out about teenage shoplifting etc but she refused to budge an inch - mind you she also say says we should sack anyone who smokes, make anyone with tattoos have them lasered off and no make up or any jewelery to be allowed!!!!

Oh she's not terribly judgemental then :o :blink: xD :lol: xD

• Like 1

Talking to people I know who have changed jobs recently, CRBS are being used as a standard background check by many emploters, even if their business has nothing to do with vulnerable people.

I had one recently that was a conviction 20 years ago and had to ask her into the office and felt really bad as it was such a long time ago and she didnt think it would appear any longer so didnt declare it. I thought it was unacceptable to punish someone for something they did 20 years ago !! She is an amazing Nursery Nurse and a real fantastic role model for younger staff so glad I was allowed to make the call.

Just so shocked that an offence 20 years ago would still appear

I have to say, many people do foolish things when they are young and many people still do them when they are older. Shoplifting is a criminal offence, but like anything at this level, she was punished at the time for it and that should be that. Is that offence going to impact on her work today?? Are the children unsafe because she stole some food or a cd, or whatever?? No?? Then give her a chance. I am a great believer in second chances ( unless the offence is something very grave: obviously, murder or an offence against children), but a single, silly thing she did when she was a teenager should be put down to being part of life's rich tapestry and move on. I hope she gets a chance and makes a wonderful employee.

And Rachel, maybe your trustee needs to get a life! I wear jewellery and my tattoo is fabulous! I'm also going to have a medical tattoo in a few weeks time..........would she sack me for that as well???

• Like 2