Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Prime Areas

Now you guys have had long enough to think !! about the revised eyfs- how are you going to use the 3 prime areas and when will you introduce the other 4........... dont have much thought myself just things ticking over in my lil head.

And have you decided on a progress chart/form yet?

And also i keep having trouble on uploading replies to posts, is it just my o so old laptop? or something else?

thanksxx

Still thinking - been busy with EYPS!

Just wanted to say I keep having trouble with replies too - the little circle thingy goes round and round for ages but nothing happens, and in the end i give up! Thought it was just me. Hopefully this one will work...

As there is 98 views and 2 replies i guess thats a ...nope! I guess the 3 Prime areas are the ones you work on especially for 2-3yrs as its the foundation for learning. Then the other areas will fall into place with continuous provision etc and are more important for older children in the EYFS... We had an Early Years Improvement officer in a few weeks ago and thats how she explained it... very briefly!

Going on a revised EYFS course in essex next week-if i get any diff info will keep you posted. I tend to agree with scallywagshoathly

My thoughts for a preschool (2-4 years) were that I would have the same paperwork for all children, so covering all 7 areas and I would note down any achievements we saw regardless of age against them. So our planning for that would be focused on the prime areas firstly but would also note the possible specific areas that might be covered. We have, for the last few years, concentrated on the PSE, PD and communication skills of our children simply because they needed to be boosted before the children could progress in any other areas. For the youngest children it has tended to work that they have had lots of activities and observations focused on these (now called) prime areas, and then they tended to gather more evidence of working on the other aspects as they developed. So my shorter answer is: plan for all the areas but leave focus on the prime for the younger children - I think!

My initial thought is to look at all 7 'areas' in order to look at, and record, each individual child holistically. However, by colour highlighting, learning journeys could indicate prime or specific areas covered.

my thoughts have kind of been to look at all areas the 3 prime cross and interlink with the others,

but sometimes you doubt your thoughts, i have another training session in july - implementing the eyfs hopefully more informative than the other one i went on.

i dont think because they are 2 to 4 that we should ignore the other areas and all children are part of the eyfs

but please keep your thoughts coming

and yes circle things just keep going round and not uploading :(

Have more training next Monday but what we have been told is the prime areas as this is what they must have in place before everything else fits together (as we all knew really). So start with prime areas (although the continuous provision and planning will still be for all seven) but in terms of assessment start with prime areas and then follow interests that feed into the others from there. We were told that even for babies if they picked up say an instrument and banged it about they would still expect you to record this and maybe say that is would link to creative arts but not necessarily 'grade'.

So I suppose its the same principle for older children even if you are assessing the three prime you could still point out the instances of interest in the other areas.

Linking to this I asked on another thread about the initial base line assessments wondering if anyone was going to change that to be more of a prime area focus rather than a focus across all areas.

my thoughts have kind of been to look at all areas the 3 prime cross and interlink with the others,

but sometimes you doubt your thoughts, i have another training session in july - implementing the eyfs hopefully more informative than the other one i went on.

i dont think because they are 2 to 4 that we should ignore the other areas and all children are part of the eyfs

but please keep your thoughts coming

and yes circle things just keep going round and not uploading :(

Hi Suer are you on the 4th July one????

We don't do baseline assessments, We will now need to do progress reports although my feeling is that a lot of children that now come to me will not need these because of the age they are starting.

Progress reports must contain the three prime areas and can include the other areas if wished.

No Sue on 3rd thats a shame, could have had a good old catch up :)

Edited by Suer

That a shame update me on what its like please. Hope you are well? At home (working on finishing off ROT and new starter info to parents glad we are looking good for numbers in September. :D

My children are at the wood Gutted!!! I not there as the sun is out!!!

But paid someone to cover me today and can't just change my mind (well I could but this needs to be done and I am not in mood!!!)

Hope to see you soon if not have a good Summer.

Sue

PS My good news is I going to be a Granny this year so excited (its not the youngest child its the older one than god!)

Granny Sue how cool :)

we canelled forest monday because of the rain not getting wet, but the trees are very slippery and the children really into climbing at the min.

we've had some training this last week and for the under threes have been told to focus on the prime areas and only after that point bring in the other specific areas into our records

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)