Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Classroom Layout

Guest Fiona

Guest Fiona

Hi everyone,

I'm changing the layout of my FS2 classroom and I'm just wondering what your classrooms look like. Do you have different areas which relate to the areas of the FSP and if so, how do you manage them? This is what I'd like to do but I'm not sure how to go about it. Any ideas gratefully received!

Fiona :D

Hi Fiona - I have just spent the last 2 weeks of the term sorting 2 big classrooms and making them all my own! I love my own classroom but was required to swap room everymorning for literacy activities with the other reception class teacher - this initially happened before i joined the school because there was not enough resources for 2 classrooms so we had 1 literacy and 1 numeracy based and we would swap - but now i am having the only reception class next year and use of both rooms so i was asked to make both of them like my original room - the head just loves to come and play! So i can now have even more areas - I am going to have:-

a writing area

a reading area (in both rooms)

a small world area

construction area - including mini writing area

home corner

dough corner - not thought of all the things to put in there yet!

a sand area

a water area

ICT area - complete with remote control bugs and bee bots!!!

creative area - i.e. the messy area - for collage - open all the time and painting area - I can't wait to get stuck into this area!!!!

listening area

... and i think that is it!

I am running out of corners but would really like a 'quiet zone' like our nursery have! - may have to juggle a small space somewhere.

I am also lucky to have a small room connecting the 2 classrooms that we will use as a role play area linked to the topic!

As you can tell i'm quite looking forward to next year already - the kids leaving me this year were very jeakous of all the space we are going to have!

hope that helps.

p.s. the continuous play topic that was on here a few weeks ago was what made me make a lot of my changes. that might be worth a look!

Sarah xoxoxoi

I am so excited for next year - even tho it will mean double the displays but i don't mind that as it is something i really really love to do.

Sarah, it sounds wonderful!!

I've got loads of stuff for your dough corner, I'll dig it all out for you - hopefully!! So busy right now, it may take until Sept to find it! :o

Sue :D

Guest Fiona

Sarah,

Your layout sounds fantastic- thanks for taking the time to reply. We're having new carpets laid at school next week so then I'll be able to get on with the furniture juggling. Thanks again!

We have

welcome area with couch for parents and space for profiles etc/ mini lending library/selfregister stuff etc.

writing/mark-making (room for 6 chn)

maths area

construction

listening area

mini pse area with a bean bag and shelves for pse type books

small world play

messy/ creative with painting table and dt workshop

sand play wet&dry

water area

snack bar

investigation table

roleplay corner

moement play area

book corner

it area

very creatie use of space, not that much room, but is looking good at minute !

Guest Fiona

Gosh! You've got loads in your room! I've got 3 doors and not many corners so I'm wondering how to fit everything in without it looking like a jumble sale!

Dont forget, you dont have to provide everything all of the time, so your wet area might alternate sand and water and likewise creative/DT activities. You might also find that something you think will work in an empty room will not be possible once the users are in!

Good luck with your decisions. :D

My Reception classroom sounds similar to the ones mentioned above. I'm also going to be adding a 'Special Saving Table' where the children can save things they've made during the day. I read about this somewhere, and think it will help them to sustain and extend their ideas.

I'm going back to Reception after a year in Year 1 and can't wait!

just to interrupt for a minute and welcome you in Kelly, and make yourself at home here.

Our reception classes are tiny so it is very dfficult for us to have too many 'area' as they all have to be multi functional. Bt it is interesting to rea how others ste up their roooms.

My Reception class is also small, together with the fact that we don't have much economical resources (private). I recently got the "Continuing the Learning Journey" DVD and I was amazed on how big the classrooms were. Are they normally like that in the UK? I think mine is not even ¼ of those :o !

Right now I have my classroom divided into the following multifuncional areas:

-Computer

-Role-play

-Construction

-Maths/Literacy/Puzzles with a table or two (depends if they need one in RP)

-Creative (a table, an easel and a shelve with recyclable materials)

-Reading

-a table for malleables

-the centre rug for different activities (Register, Calendar-Weather, Circle Time, WG, small-world and what ever they make of it :D ... In front of the rug is a chalkboard)

-a furniture where they put their snacks/lunch boxes as well as things they make which they have not finished and want/need to finish later on. I would prefer to have both things apart. The top is for KUW discovery.)

-a round table for anything needed...

-my desk

We have a Listening Centre but it is on top of the unit that divides the Creative and Maths/Lit/Puzzle Area. I have one electrical socket in the whole classroom. Well, there is another one but in a very unpractical place... just at the door. I used to have the PC I later changed it to be nearby the Role-Play Area.

We (FS and Pre-school) hope to be able to have a sand/water tray in our classrooms. I have to see where to put it, but it is necessary.

The toilets are outside the classroom, of common use with other groups.

We don't have an outside area for FS but a common playground for EY/P/S. It is in cement with a basketball court and a small area to play football. The children have a shed with different toys, apart of several triciyles. We do have a sandpit which we mainly use during warmer days. This one is near the Pre-school classroom.

Edited by SmileyPR

:D I know that most of us are on holiday at the moment but It seams like a lot of us are trying to improve our layouts of the nursery / receptionn classes. I visited a couple of settings this summer to get some ideas. Our EYA is realy into continious areas of provision (little work stations ) but my room just doesnt seem to be the right shape to provide this. Like the photos of displays would any one be interested in posting photos of ther settings to inspire each other. Would there be room Steve ?

I would definitely be happy to post pictures - in fact I may pop into school tomorrow and take a few if i have the time

Sarah

That would be fantastic to see them! I am in the process of changing my reception class layout- Its not very big, but Im making best use of the space by not having the home corner in a corner but on a straight wall, Im arranging the furiture so it stillmakes a house shape and have done this before- the children love it as it seems to create more room as they are not stuck up against two brick walls

• 3 weeks later...
Sarah, it sounds wonderful!!

I've got loads of stuff for your dough corner, I'll dig it all out for you - hopefully!! So busy right now, it may take until Sept to find it!  :o

Sue  :D

35449[/snapback]

Ooooooo.. dont' quite know how i did this!! but does anyone else have any ideas for my dough area and collage area? Thank you sarah xoxox

Edited by Sarah H

I am moving to year 1 in september after a long time in Reception and would like to know how year 1 teachers have set up their classrooms.

For the first term i set it up as a reception class as only about 4 of my children had reached all the elg's. As we had little guidence we devised our own way of using the nc and elg's to make sure the children were getting the appropriate curriculum. It worked as the children were able to settle in well into an environment they were used too. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Sarah!

If i don't get back to you PLEASE SHOUT AT ME!!! Been soooo busy and off on hols from Wed, but I will try to get it all together for you!!

Sue  :(

36628[/snapback]

I'm not gonna shout at you! that would be mean?!?!? i'm just avoiding having to do 'proper work' and am thinking about things that i enjoy doing and setting up so whateva you have will distract me even further

thanks Sue :D

I'm going to try to sort it all out today - it'll keep me away from the ironing :oxD

I really haven't a clue what happened there!! Sorry, didn't mean to edit your post, and I didn't use the edit button, I definitrly used the reply with quote! xD to anyone who might malign me!!! :o

But I'm still going to try to sort the stuff out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)