Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Grrr!

Sue R

We've done the whole thing, read lots of books, watched them around, discussed and decided - all as a group - and I mean the children and myself, here!!!!!- so! .............. :o

What do those ungrateful caterpillars do?

*they turn into chrysalids over the weekend

*they start hatching at the end of my short week!!!!!!!!!

AAAAARGH xD

:(:(

So - do I start again? I was so looking forward to it all, as well :(

Sue

ohh sue..... i do feel for you, a few of mine hatched over a weekend so the childen didnt see them. if it makes 6you feel any better we planted carrot / radish seeds after half term as we were doing growth, watched them grow with green stalks and roots, they were in a special root veiw box, had top pulll them up testurday hoping to show the children baby carrots on the end....guess what nothing.... grrrrrr

Oh, Sue... I am so sorry for you. I can imagine everyone's disappointment. I suppose the only thing that could help in similar situations is to have a 24hr. camera installed nearby. Let's hope that you can enjoy when they become butterflies.

Best wishes!

It's so annoying when that happens - my butterlifes decided to come out late on a Friday morning - so the kids got to see one of them but not the rest. Sods law again .........

And just to share my "pet" woes - the snails eggs I carefully transported back south from Liverpool failed to hatch - all 8 of them - so am very disappointed - but am on the case for getting some live ones now. Just as well I didn't go out and buy the tank!!

Nikki

But the most important thing is you all tried!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many other preschools,Nurseries did!! Well done all receive a star for trying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This year all five caterpillars hatched and we didn't see one of them emerging. We have been buying caterpillars from Insectlore for years and I think we have only seen them hatch twice at Pre-school. The children love seeing the caterpillars getting fatter and fatter, even though they don't always see them hatch and they love letting them go into the "wild".

Sue J

When I joined my nursery two years ago I raved and raved about Insect Lore butterflies: we had a magical experience at my previous setting, with the caterpillars doing everything on cue for the children to witness (even with the little pot being shaken vigorously by a small visitor!).

So I badgered and badgered my boss to buy some that first year. She had a lot of trouble with Insect Lore's admin, and when the butterfly house arrived I was a bit puzzled - a plastic aquarium-type tank rather than a lovely flowery box with viewing windows.

So my boss rang to check. No, that's right the girl said confidently.

Then the caterpillars arrived. Moths, not butterflies! She rang to complain. Unfortunately there was now no time to send the moths back and get butterflies. "But they'll be just as nice" the girl said.

The children did enjoy setting the moths free, but they weren't very impressed with the colours of their wings!

I might just pluck up courage to suggest butterflies for this year...!

Maz

Oh Maz!! xD:o

Keep pegging away, I'm dure it'll come right in the end!

Saw our butterflies yesterday - all 10 hatched successfully and are lovely to watch. The children are quite fascinated and spend ages watching "Ooh!! It's drinking!" is becoming a frequent cry :D

Sue :D