Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Support Toddler Fear

Hiya all, wondering if any of you have any ideas how to tackle this dilema of mine. I have a little two year old (Polish) whom although loved animals when he started at my setting some four months ago, has developed an increasing fear of my cats ! ( I have four of them ). I have asked his mum if anything has happened which at first she said no ( when I first noticed his discomfort some months ago); Ive mentioned it again as now, although I put them outside, he is hysterical if one of them moves to get up/stretch/ walk past. He wont go into the garden if he sees one of them there despite them being maybe on the fence or a good distance away. Now his mum says that a neighbours dog is rather eager to say hello to him and jumps up at him. Im presuming he is expecting the cat(s) to do the same. This fear is heightened if he is tired. Ive tried to suggest to his mum he may still need a short nap as he appears sometimes blotchy faced and yawning ( sure sign of course ha ha :) ) But she prefers it if he doesnt nap. She works odd hours although he does now thankfully come to me at least two consequtive days 9 to 2 ; so I feel I have some time to tackle the problem. He wont settle as he used to do in the cot so I have to go out to get the nap. Its the hysteria with the cats I really want to sort as its driving me mad and my preschooler (4yrs).

Interestingly when his mum arrived this week he was quite cocky in his manner when one of them inevitably appeared at the front door. So I know its one of confidence with me/cats.

although at playgroups he holds my hand until he feels able to go it alone. So I need some ideas on how to approach this one. Anything Ive read said have them in the same room after looking at books about animals. Im not sure about this as the minute Ive had to remove a cat and put it out, he will happily point to the pictures of cats in books, on my place mats etc and say "miaow" !!!!!

Help please as this is driving me nuts !!

PS Boys are doing fine by the way in the new school!! :)

Firstly so glad to hear your boys are doing fine, that must be such a relief for you. Secondly I would continue to reassure him each time he is with you. Could he be responsible for helping to feed them, as in putting the food into the bowls, filling a bowl with water, until he sees them as just another thing that is at your home. Giving lots of praise for his help etc. Could he have a toy cat to care for at your place? Just throwing some ideas but not sure if they will be of any use. :)

I have, as long as I can remember, been terrified of cats! Not helpful I know but could it be a phobia? If you put a cat in a room with me I'd be the first one up th chimney!

I have, as long as I can remember, been terrified of cats! Not helpful I know but could it be a phobia? If you put a cat in a room with me I'd be the first one up th chimney!

I'm with you on that too!! :D

My son developed a fear of cats after one approached him when he was a toddler. He was lying on the floor playing at a friends and a cat walked in, I think in his little mind this cat was a lot bigger than him. This then developed into a fear of every animal going, we would have to cross the road if a dog was on the same side as us (I love dogs) there was no consoling him at all.

He is now 9 years old and no longer crosses the road to get away but will not go anywhere near any animals still :(

Sorry, not much help though

A bit extreme I know, but when my daughter started to develop a phobia about dogs, to the extent of leaping into the road if she saw one coming towards here on the pavement, I used is as an excuse to get a dog. Now she adores them. But you already have a cat so not sure what to suggest. :(

We had a couple of children who disliked our settings cats! In general they would exhibit being clingy, moving away from the cats etc etc! As we have the most adorable cats ever (love rolling over and having their tummy rubbed) we encouraged the more confident children to come over and play with the cats! Showing them how to care for the cat and pet them etc etc! And within a week ALL the children were getting involved!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)