Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice On Employing 17Year Old

We have a 17 year old applyed for our cleaners post this will be unsupervised work after the pre-school closes can anyone advise me as it will be unsupervised will this be legal? I have looked on line and think it will be covered under our usual emplyers risk assessment/induction process but just not sure if we will not be breaking any laws?

andrea

You could check with ACAS 08457 474747 if you have any concerns. You need to be quite specific with whoever applies, about confidentiality and health and safety. You may find that a 17year old isn't quite as 'clued up' about the chemicals needed in some cleaning processes - but I'm happy to be wrong on that! As this person will presumably also be a key-holder you'll need to really know how responsible they are.

We have a cleaner who goes in after we close, although she is older than the person you are planning to employ. We have system where she phones her manager (or a substitute if on holiday) when she has left the building and got in her car, so we can be sure we are taking responsibility for her safety. If we did not get her call by a certain time we would go and check she is OK (has not collapsed in a heap etc).

The manager also meets with her monthly for 1:1 supervision, as for all staff.

you will need to go through lone worker document and get this signed by both parties - this is to ensure she knows what happens and what to do in case of emergency, she should ideally phone someone to say when she has arrived and left, also manual handling form and all coshh sheets should be available to her. I would suggest that you shadow her initially until you are both happy and of course regarding data protection and safeguarding that she has no access to any documents relating to staff or children.

I manage staff at our local British Legion , or bar staff often work alone and are responsible for opening up and closing ,therefore we do all this as part of their induction and review annually , all copies of paperwork are kept on premises along with contact numbers of committeee members. hope that helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)